Maker Pro
Maker Pro

To control the Infrared food warming lamp

jacklam2048

Feb 22, 2021
Hi,
I am building a food warming infrared lamp (240V~, 1000W) by using the infrared tube shown in the uploaded photo. I want to let the user to control the power of the emitted infrared ray (and hence the temperature of the food).
I don't want to use a PCB to control, such as by PWM, instead I just want to use mechanical device. In my mind, I have two options, one is a potentiometer, another is an energy regulator (also shown in the photo attached). However, I cannot find a potentiometer with suitable current rating in the market.

My questions are:
1. Can I use the energy regulator to control the infrared tube ? will the user notice sometimes brighter and sometimes dimmer when the energy regulator is turned to a middle position ?
2. Does anyone have better suggestions ?
Thanks a lot !

Attachments

• infrared tube and energy regulator.jpg
    infrared tube and energy regulator.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
When it comes to food, In commercial use at least, the temperature must be held between certain levels and is only accurate with a thermostat rather than a simmerstat as you have shown.
Thermostat type are the ones with the capiliary tube and temperature sensing bulb.
They will be capable in most instances of switching up to 16A so direct switching would be acceptable for the load you show. (1000w)

In addition there would be requirements to ...
house the lamp in case of breakage
wiring and terminations in high temperature materials
earthing and overcurrent/earth leakage protection
If commercial, some form of local authority authorisation to it's use

Last edited: