Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transient Voltage Supressor (TVS) Operating Voltage

NiGHTS

Nov 19, 2014
What occurs between the TVS Operating Voltage and the Breakdown Voltage? If the breakdown voltage is supposed to be approximately where any breakdown of the reverse current occurs, then wouldn't the operating voltage rating simply be arbitrarily chosen by the manufacturer?

Speaking more practically, I am trying to find a good TVS for an input that allows up to 30V but cannot go higher than 40V. One of the TVS I was looking at has an operating voltage of 26V and a breakdown of ~32V. Can such a TVS safely operate at 30V input? Would any current be passing through at 30V?

Thank you in advance for your help.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
One of the TVS I was looking at has an operating voltage of 26V and a breakdown of ~32V. Can such a TVS safely operate at 30V input? Would any current be passing through at 30V?

Hi
cant answer that, you would have to look at the datasheet for the device to see the specifics
do some googling of the part # :)

Dave

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello
The TVS working voltage is normally specified so a maximum of say 5 uA to 1 mA (dependant on the power handling of the device) of leakage current is obtained when working normally. The trigger voltage is the voltage when the TVS is fully on. You obviously want to stay clear of this voltage in normal operation as you normally operate these devices with no added series resistance.
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
As Dave says you need to check the data sheet. But I doubt you will find a graph showing the current versus applied voltage, I might be wrong. I have never seen one as you are supposed to operate them within the limits set out in the data sheet.
Adam