Maker Pro
Maker Pro

TRS microphone wiring

dirt

Jun 4, 2024
Hi,

What is the recommended wiring when using a condenser microphone (such as the Rode Videomicro I, link) ? It has an TRS output, which should be the following from what I saw on the web:

Source hobby-hourspeechrecsolutionssound-au
TipSignal-+ Signal
Ring+5V++ 5V
Sleevegroundgroundground

I want to use it with a Canon camera (EOS 1200D) that does not have an external microphone input, by adding a small switch-TRS input line (such as this one). Inside the camera, the internal mic is only connected with two wire (red and black) that I assume should be connected to the tip and sleeve (respectively) of the TRS connector. However, this image from this instructable only uses the tip and sleeve of the connector. How would that work ?

I intent to test some connections with another camera once I will receive the microphone but in the meantime I would really appreciate some insight on this subject.

:D

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
electret microphone
by adding a small switch-TRS input line (such as this one).
No not that one that's stereo you only got one microphone so it's mono.
You have to make sure the internal microphone is an electret microphone

It has an TRS output, which should be the following from what I saw on the web:
Yes and no it's very confusing.
This is also a TRS

0zH19.png
Inside the camera, the internal mic is only connected with two wire (red and black) that I assume should be connected to the tip and sleeve (respectively
You must confirm if the internal microphone is in fact a electret microphone and the voltage is compatible with your microphone
If it is then the support circuitry the components the 4.7 microfarad capacitor and a 2.2 kilo ohm resistor
Or value is very similar could be inside as well but you will have to Short the tip and the ring together on the female connector cuz it needs that 5 volts
In operation 5 vdc it's applied via the 2.2 kilo ohm resistor when you speak into the microphone (AC) alternating current passes through the 4.7 microfarad capacitor which also blocks the 5Vdc.
From the data sheet.
You must short pins two and five.
By the way that's why you only see
The tip and sleeve from the photo of instructables very instructive isn't it?

photo_1717539262229.png
This is what you want to accomplish
photo_1717537869329.png
Tip& ring or shorted.
Have a nice day...

Attachments

• 1717536850726.png
    1717536850726.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 0