Maker Pro
Maker Pro

UV Light linked to PIR sensor

PaulCullen

May 15, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am currently undertaking a school project involving a self-sanitizing door handle. The handle uses an internal UVC light surrounded by a quartz tube.

I need the light to become isolated as soon as somebody activates a PIR sensor.
10 seconds after the PIR is activated I want the that light to be switched on for 10 seconds.
Once the 10 seconds is up I want the light to turn off. Hence the cycle starts again.

This cycle will essentially sanitizes the handle after each use.

I purchased a UV light that is meant to be used in cleaning fish tanks and has come with a circuit board. The input for the light is a standard 240V power point connection.

I would really appreciate some guidance here as I have limited knowledge in the electronic world.

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK Paul. 2 posts for the same question and you still didn't find the homework help section. Not to worry, I've fixed that.

As you clearly realise, this is your project not ours.

So why don't you start off by telling us a little about what you understand of the problems you're facing. Which ones do you think you can figure out by yourself? Are there any others where Googling hasn't helped? (maybe we can point you in the right direction)

edit: *three* posts for the same question. (You can stop now before I get annoyed).

PaulCullen

May 15, 2013
OK Paul. 2 posts for the same question and you still didn't find the homework help section. Not to worry, I've fixed that.

As you clearly realise, this is your project not ours.

So why don't you start off by telling us a little about what you understand of the problems you're facing. Which ones do you think you can figure out by yourself? Are there any others where Googling hasn't helped? (maybe we can point you in the right direction)

edit: *three* posts for the same question. (You can stop now before I get annoyed).

Sorry for the multiple posts.

All I wanted is some guidance from a professional on how they would approach this problem. I have been to my local electronic store and they were of no help. However they did have a wide range of circuit board kits including delay and countdown timers etc. As I said before I have little knowledge of electronics and I don't have time to do a course.

The PIR sensor I want to use has a 9 to16VDC operating voltage
and 13mA current draw.

The countdown timer circuit kit that my electronic shop can supply runs on 9VDC.

I plan to use the PIR sensor to activate 2 countdown timers;
One will be set at 10 seconds and will turn the light on.
Another will be set at 20 seconds to turn the light off.

The problem I have is I don't know how to connect all the components together. I know I will need a 240V to 9V step down transformer to use these components.