Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple transmitter-receiver

ga ku

Jan 24, 2012
Hi All,
I guess you must have come across these questions time and again. But, I am more embedded software engineer than hardware. I need to build a simple transmitter-receiver pair (for sending minimum 2 bits - max 4 bits ). It has to be for the range of about 100 meters including thick walls in between. Bluetooth and IR seem to be out of question. Another requirement is to be extremely low-cost. I am eager to learn how to build this sort of thing from scratch. Could you help me with where to start with, I mean what frequencies should I be looking for? Any off-the-shelf cheap modules or how do I start making my own? What concepts do I need to know?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You would be much better off to buy off-the-shelf modules. They are really cheap, can be had for <$10.

Bob

ga ku

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks Bob. I was thinking the same. Could you show me an example? ( a link, product name etc.). Because google throws out a lot of info and I am not sure if I am looking at correct ones.( considering my requirements)

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
Hi All,
I guess you must have come across these questions time and again. But, I am more embedded software engineer than hardware. I need to build a simple transmitter-receiver pair (for sending minimum 2 bits - max 4 bits ). It has to be for the range of about 100 meters including thick walls in between. Bluetooth and IR seem to be out of question. Another requirement is to be extremely low-cost. I am eager to learn how to build this sort of thing from scratch. Could you help me with where to start with, I mean what frequencies should I be looking for? Any off-the-shelf cheap modules or how do I start making my own? What concepts do I need to know?

Go to Mouser.com. They have modules for less than 20 bucks that will do it.