Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3. way Light help

Puno

Feb 25, 2011
I have wired this one before a 2way light switch and 3 way light sw. see diag. attached the 4way they referred to is an intermediate sw not a DPDT cause it won't work if it was DPDT this sw can be switched straight through or crossed that's why they are fantastic if you want more than 2 switches to control a light( good in hall ways lighting etc etc). And it is important to be inserted always in between the other 2 switches which are SPDT.

Attachments

• 2WAY.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 72

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
the 4way they referred to is an intermediate sw not a DPDT cause it won't work if it was DPDT

Clearly you don't understand DPDT ;)

In any case it's a terminology thing. I think we're all agreed that it will work. It's up to the original poster to figure out which terminal on the switches are which so that the whole thing doesn't go *BANG* (which is the result if you short the mains :)

As long as the bulb is in series with everything, there is no chance of a bang, just of the light not switching on/off correctly.

Puno

Feb 25, 2011
let me say first I was wrong Steve that the DPDT does not work, it will work in fact the intermediate sw is a DPDT, what was I thinking?? anyways I guess all this saga has reached the final solution its up to the person now to sort it out.

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

So if I understand you

What makes a 2 way switch a 3 way switch is how it is wired.
And what makes a 2 way switch a 4 way switch is how it is wired.

Am I right on this??

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Am I right on this??

Maybe. It also probably depends on your training and profession.

To my mind, a 2-way switch has 2 positions (e.g. on/off), a 3-way switch has three (e.g. up-off-down) and a 4 way switch has 4 positions (e.g. off, low-med-high).

Clearly that is NOT what you want.

I was serious when I earlier asked if there were any sparkies about because maybe they use this nomenclature.

OK, a bit off googling suggests that sparkies DO use this odd nomenclature. I have a sparkie that lives up the road from me. I'm going to quiz him on this stuff next I see him.

Puno

Feb 25, 2011
see attached pic of my illustrations of the switches hope might give you some light

Attachments

• SWITCHES.jpg
    SWITCHES.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 95

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

I am so so sorry it is me and how I am asking what I need help with.

What I ment is this?

The 2. switchs in the Hallway from your Bedroom work One Lite.
And these switchs are called 3. way switchs just because they use 3. wires?

And the one Lite switch that work just one Lite in your Bassment is called a 2. way switch because it uses jut 2. wires?

But both switchs are still just 2. way switchs they are wired diferently RIGHT?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Puno: DPDT is still only a 2 way switch :)

robertbiferi: See the last link in my post above. Sparkies seem to have different nomenclature.

Puno

Feb 25, 2011
I am so so sorry it is me and how I am asking what I need help with.

What I ment is this?

The 2. switchs in the Hallway from your Bedroom work One Lite.
And these switchs are called 3. way switchs just because they use 3. wires?

yes/no it depends how you look at it. all these switches are the same SPDT some calls it 3 way switches but to my knowledge and also I work with an electrician says it is a 2way switch no matter how many wires is connected to this switch, it has 3 terminals, a COMMON, NC(normally close), NO(normally open) but its how you wire it up. if you going to sw only one light then only 2 terminals are used, for 2way light switching then you 2 of these type switches and all 3 terminals.

And the one Lite switch that work just one Lite in your Bassment is called a 2. way switch because it uses jut 2. wires?

like I said above but in this case you are only using the COMMON and the NORMALLY OPEN terminals.

But both switchs are still just 2. way switchs they are wired diferently RIGHT?

that is correct.
the thing to know here is these switches are SPDT so work out which terminal is the common, normally close and normally open using a multimeter once you have identify these 3 terminals then you have no problem because you can see it now how you want it to turn the light on.

Until you come to one light and 3 switches where you going to use the DPDT the ones you buy from an electrical outlet are already prewired (called intermediate sw)and have 4 terminals on them.

Forget about whether it is a 2 way or 3 way or 4 way switch, just think more about how many terminals and whether they are SPDT or DPDT.

Think 1 way switching as 1 light to a switch
2 way switching as 1 or many lights to using 2 SPDT and DPDT switches.