Maker Pro
Maker Pro

30W LED amplifier from 12V

MadCatzx

Feb 11, 2018
Hello everyone,

First of all I'm totally new to electronics. Actually I'm a programmer, but wanted to work out some LED home lightning system.

My LED Home lightning system will be driven by arduino. I allready figured out how to power 12v RGBW LED strips.
But now i want to incorporated 30W RGB LED chips with heat sinks (that I will make into celing lamps), that are driven by 22-24V 350mAh. I want to have RGB LED amplifier/extender, to be able to achieve modularity. So each 30W RGB LED would get input from common anode RGB LED controller (arduino or any other on market RGBW controller) or RGB LED strip.

So question would be: Can anyone help me with schematics and transistor or mossfet choices for creating such amplifier?
I'm attaching simple ilustration.

Attachments

• led-problem.png
    led-problem.png
    3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
22-24V 350mAh

You probably mean 350mA. mAh is a measure typically used as a measure of capacity of batteries.

I want to have RGB LED amplifier/extender, to be able to achieve modularity.

I assume what you want is a LED driver that you can control via PWM from your Arduino.

What voltage source do you have available? Do you have a (say) 28V power supply?

Do you want to use a common power supply, or one for each light fitting?

How many LEDs in each light fitting? 3?

Have you already sourced your LED modules? If so, have you checked that they are ok (cheap eBay ones are frequently rejects).

MadCatzx

Feb 11, 2018
1. Yes. Its 350mA.

2. No. I allready have a driver made from Arduino, or I'm using any common anode LED RGBW controller. These controllers are giving out up to +12V. I use them to drive LED RGB strips. So I want to hook 30W RGB LED to same circuit, so LED strip collors and 30W LED colors would be same. By modularity (in promgramming terms) I mean, that each 30W RGB LED lamp can be hooked up to any 12V LED controller.

3. I have two 12V suplies, but to one of them I'm adding booster, to get needed voltage (12V to 38V can be boosted).

4. I'm able to use separate power supply to each fitting if needed. So if power or current wont be sufficient from one power source I would be able to add a new one to new 30W LED lamp, 12V is just for color signal controll.

5. Yes there are three channels in one fitting. I'm using these LED's https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED...32711418903.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.f1lLfR

And yes, they are in working order. I have tested them with power boosters (burned RED color in test led chip, but blue and green are ok).

MadCatzx

Feb 11, 2018
Also I'll add more detailed schematics of problematic. Not technical, sorry, but maybe it will give some insights.

Attachments

• led-setup-detailed.jpg
    led-setup-detailed.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 87

MadCatzx

Feb 11, 2018
The 'amplifier' you want is another 'driver'.

Ok, cool.

But how I can create it? :)

I would just but three boosters if LED would be common cathode, but it dont understand how to deal with common anode ones.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Just as an aside, here are some images of a good high power COB LED module and a bad one.

Both are being operated at a low current (around 20mA from memory)

upload_2018-2-11_22-40-5.jpeg upload_2018-2-11_22-40-19.jpeg

Note that one has all the elements illuminated at the same brightness, and the other has randomly lit elements at very different brightnesses.

I

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The 12V pulses feeding the LED strips can be attenuated to 10V then used to turn a Mosfet on and off that turns on and off the about 25V power supply that feeds a current limiting circuit for each color in each LED.

You burned out an LED because Ali-express sells cheap Chinese junk.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
So I want to hook 30W RGB LED to same circuit, so LED strip collors and 30W LED colors would be same.
Sorry to disillusion you, but the colors will not be the same, or even remotely the same. I have used many different RGB LEDs and strips, and diffferent type needs a very different mix to achieve the same perceived color.

Bob