Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Analogue electronics: Iron in the Soul

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This thread is on behalf of @Zoro

Attractive colouration for audio processing.

Vintage pro-audio recording and processing equipment is much sought after and can command very high prices in the second hand pro-audio marketplace. One reason for this is that such equipment is said to produce attractive coloration/distortion of audio signals due to components such as transformers and valves present in the signal path and the magnetic tape recording medium. These all introduce small amounts of nonlinear distortion sometimes considered to be attractive for audio signal processing. An example of this being that vintage equipment is sometimes said to give the added quality of ‘warmth’ to an audio signal passing through the unit.

This project will involve an investigation into the nature of distortion and coloration produced by audio transformers, the valve processing units in the studios and magnetic tape. The project will also involve the design and analysis of some simple audio circuits using audio transformers which will aim to emulate some of the audio properties of vintage units. Circuits will be designed and assessed using SPICE simulation and constructed and tested in the lab for distortion. Audio signals processed by the test circuits will be subjectively evaluated by a panel of trained listeners.

I have been looking at designing a simple phono pre amp similar to the Nagra VPS phono pre-amp kind of. any ideas and where i can get free licence circuitry will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
AFAIK, common people are not able to notice a 2% distortion on audio, and I don't think on a well designed amplifier having more than 2% distortion, so, most of us will not notice anything.

Maybe John Williams or Enio Morricone would do........