Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio Amplifier distortion issue

Dunc

Feb 22, 2015
Thanks Bob for chiming in, it's saved another component! I should also point out that I haven't had the chance to look at this circuit this evening, family life and all that. At least I have a clear idea of what to do at the next opportunity thanks to the good people here. I will let you know how I get on, I can't think of much worse than not letting those who have given their advice know if it was taken or was successful.

Dunc

Feb 22, 2015
Well so far no joy. Still distorts at any volume but curiously the nature of the distortion changes. At low volume (in fact to be honest the volume in total is not big!) the distortion is present then as I turn the Pot to about half way the speaker squeals, continuing past this point and the squeal stops but the distortion continues.
I may have connected things up badly as I was a bit bleary eyed after work so I'll check things tomorrow to make sure. failing that I may experiment a bit with the op amp section but keep the output transistors configured as described by Kris. I have little to lose and only knowledge to gain!

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Can you upload a photo or two of your breadboard layout?