Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Constant current power supply

Lamma

Jul 27, 2014
Have you had to create any of your own components with Designspark? Is it easy to do? How do you like the program overall?
I haven't created any components yet , but I must say from a complete layman's perspective I don't find that process very straight forward. I just make the shapes and add them on the silkscreen layer so I know which components go where. I have looked everywhere for a freeware PCB design program and this one is best suited to my needs by far. Maybe there are better software but then it won't be freeware, and some cost a heap.

Lamma

Jul 27, 2014
OK guys , hit a bit of a bump here. My power supply has been built and is done. First time I hook it up the voltmeter shows about 0.54V and the ammeter doesn't even move when I turn the dial on the 10k pot. I made some changes on Kris's design though . I couldn't find the 2 x 1Ω , 10W resistors in parallel , RE1 and RE2 , so I swapped them for 5 x 0.1Ω , 5W resistors in series. I added a voltmeter between CN1 and CN2 and an ammeter in series with CN1. Any ideas why nothing is happening? Did I do something wrong or is one of my parts defective? If so so any ideas on which part to replace maybe? See the final PCB layout attached.

Attachments

• PS 6.0 - PCB.jpg
    PS 6.0 - PCB.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 93

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
OK guys , hit a bit of a bump here. My power supply has been built and is done. First time I hook it up the voltmeter shows about 0.54V and the ammeter doesn't even move when I turn the dial on the 10k pot. I made some changes on Kris's design though . I couldn't find the 2 x 1Ω , 10W resistors in parallel , RE1 and RE2 , so I swapped them for 5 x 0.1Ω , 5W resistors in series. I added a voltmeter between CN1 and CN2 and an ammeter in series with CN1. Any ideas why nothing is happening? Did I do something wrong or is one of my parts defective? If so so any ideas on which part to replace maybe? See the final PCB layout attached.

Do you have a schematic of your changes? Some voltmeters may require a reference voltage outside of the circuit to function properly.

Lamma

Jul 27, 2014
Do you have a schematic of your changes? Some voltmeters may require a reference voltage outside of the circuit to function properly.
No I didn't make one . You can see the schematic on post #8. I just added the voltmeter and ammeter and changed the resistors. I checked the voltage with mt multimeter , that's why I know it's 0.54V. Maybe I'm missing a grounding issue somewhere?

Lamma

Jul 27, 2014
OK so I found some of the problem . The diode was backward. Fixed that and now the power supply outputs a constant 4V and still turning the dial on the pot does nothing when I hook up a load. Any ideas anybody?