Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Continuity between + & - in circuit?

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
I'm currently repairing a charging unit for a smartphone. I'm about to attach a 5 pint Micro USB female socket to it. The old one wasn't making contact so it had to go.

On these 5 pin sockets the first pin is + Positive and the last pin is the - Ground. I noticed when I use a continuity tester that there is continuity between the + and Ground terminals where I solder the female connector to. I went ahead and soldered the connector to it anyway (tested all the connections and they contact well) .

When I plug in the wall charger into the phone, the charging unit (the one in the wall) switches off. I feel it may be to do with that continuity between the + and - terminals but I'm not sure.

My continuity tester is just two rods with a low voltage light. When you touch the two wands together it lights up if there's continuity.

I realise it's probably better to use a multimeter to test resistance between the + and - terminal on a circuit, but I don't have one.. I'm stuck in India due to this pandemic and am trying to fix my phone.

Should there be continuity between the + and - terminals even when the female usb port is not attached? They are all surface mount components by the way.

Any help on this will save my life.. Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.

[the USB port has 5 pins.. The first one is the GND (-), the fifth one is positive (+). The rest are data and sensor ports]

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
My continuity tester is just two rods with a low voltage light. When you touch the two wands together it lights up if there's continuity.

Multimeters may well operate on a similar basis BUT they allow very small current to flow.
It is possible you may have damaged something with your test arrangement.
I doubt any advice given here will "save your life", that would be governed by your actions.

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
Multimeters may well operate on a similar basis BUT they allow very small current to flow.
I doubt any advice given here will "save your life", that would be governed by your actions.

I doubt my 1.5 volt test arrangement has ruined it. This circuit normally takes 5 volts 2 amps.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I doubt my 1.5 volt test arrangement has ruined it. This circuit normally takes 5 volts 2 amps.

some photos of what you are playing with, in particular, the soldering on the connectors would be really helpful
else we are just all guessing

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
some photos of what you are playing with, in particular, the soldering on the connectors would be really helpful
else we are just all guessing
I intended to do that but here I am having technical issues on multiple levels. I'm going to lay this one to rest because I think the entire time it was probably the entire charging unit that has died. This is a problem with this phone and I have a new piece in a storage shed in Australia. Not much use there. Off to get a new phone until I get this part. Thanks for coming back.

tomadom

Jan 18, 2013
I got an electric shock from the soldering iron I bought from here in India. I probably fried the board when I was desoldering and resoldering. I got two shocks actually. The tiny 8 watt soldering iron had a fine tip and low wattage which is why I bought it.. It cost me about $1.50.. Says it all really.