Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dual Output Power supply? AC to AC and DC!

Sonzai

May 4, 2017
Hey, for my bachelor thesis i am developing a control system for medical autoclaves. glorified pressure cookers.

the control unit runs off of 24v DC where as the actuators, (valves and pumps) run off of 24v AC!

currently i am using a transformer to get the 24v AC and a AC to DC converter for the 24v DC.

what i would love is both of those in one, meaning one AC input and two channel outputs providing AC and DC. has anyone ever seen something like this? all i find on google are loads of converters,

thanks a bunch!
- Sonzai

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to EP :)

what i would love is both of those in one, meaning one AC input and two channel outputs providing AC and DC. has anyone ever seen something like this? all i find on google are loads of converters,

get a transformer with a dual secondary AC output say 1 x 24VAC and 1 x 18V AC
and use the 18V one to be rectified etc for your 24V DC rail

ensure the transformer is rated high enough to supply enough power got the AC and DC rails

Dave

Sonzai

May 4, 2017
the idea was to replace both units with one, i.e the ac and dc units with one unit that provides both ac and dc to the system.

i thought if something like this existed, it will reduce the total space used up inside the switching cabinet of the autoclave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the idea was to replace both units with one, i.e the ac and dc units with one unit that provides both ac and dc to the system.
that was what I described for you ;)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You could use the same 24V AC transformer and a bridge + rectifier + voltage regulator to get both from the same transformer. You probably want a voltage regulator anyway.

The only drawback is that the rectified and smoothed output of the 24V AC will be over 30V and, depending on how much DC power you use, would waste a log of power (about 7 x your current.) If the current is 1A, the power lost is 7W, which is not undoable, but will require a significant heat sink.

If the current is much more than that, you could use a DC to DC switch mode converter instead of a voltage regulator and it will be more efficient.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The only drawback is that the rectified and smoothed output of the 24V AC will be over 30V

which is why I suggested using a dual secondary transformer with one winding around 18V to get the 24VDC from :)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Yes, but it might not be easy to find.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Yes, but it might not be easy to find.

Bob

just one example .... am sure in other countries the same or similar will be available with a 120V winding

how many do you want ??? 10's 100's ?? ;)

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/m6672l-powertran-240v-15-30v-1a-transformer/

upload_2017-5-6_16-1-32.png
@Sonzai .... dunno what current you need, you didn't state.......
there's sure to be others available with a higher VA (wattage) rating just do searching and asking of transformer suppliers

Dave