Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronics makers - Anyone visited South Korea? Looking for recommendations!

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to South Korea later this year and wanted to get some insider tips from any makers who have visited before. As an electronics hobbyist, I'm especially interested in checking out the tech scene in Seoul.

Does anyone have any recommendations for maker spaces, hobbyist stores, tech museums or factories I should put on my list? I've heard the National Science Museum looks pretty cool.

I'd also love to experience some of the local culture beyond just tech. What were some of your favorite non-tech things you did on your trip? Any must-try foods or places I shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance for any tips! Always looking to explore new places and cultures as a maker. Let me know if any other Korea travelers want to meet up for a drink to swap stories!

thom3s

Feb 20, 2024
I went to a 3D printing shop near Hongdae Station. The shop is right next to a Tamiya Store. However, it's been several years since then, so I can't be sure if it's still open. Someone also mentioned a makerspace in Yongsan, but I haven't been there myself.

If the Yongsan makerspace is no longer around, you might be able to find other interesting electronic items in the area, even though it's not very foreigner-friendly. Prices tend to be expensive, but going with a local could help you get better deals, perhaps consider visiting with a local guide?

I tried to visit the National Science Museum, but it was unfortunately closed when I went, and I didn't have a chance to go back. I apologize for not having more details about electronics; hopefully, I can make it up by providing non-tech stuff.

Everland is the biggest theme park in South Korea, and it's definitely worth visiting. May I suggest another museum as well? The National Museum of Korea houses a collection of Korean history, culture, and art. Remember to visit palaces like Gyeongbokgung Palace as well.

For food, you should definitely try kimchi, bibimbap, tteokbokki, kimbap, samgyetang, and Korean barbecue. If spicy food isn't your thing, don't worry! You can also try hotteok, the Korean sweet pancake, with some aloe vera juice.

By the way, @mineymoe, which month will you be visiting this beautiful country?

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
Thanks so much for all the great recommendations! I'm definitely going to check out that 3D printing shop and Tamiya store if they're still around. And good tip about visiting with a local guide to get better deals. I'm checking https://gowithguide.com/korea Do you know about this guide?

I'm planning to go in October, so hopefully the weather will still be nice. Really appreciate you taking the time to provide all those non-tech options too - my mouth is watering thinking about trying all that awesome Korean food!:p

thom3s

Feb 20, 2024
Many individuals consider the spring period, from April until June, as the optimal season for traveling to South Korea since the weather is agreeable, not too dry or humid and cherry blossoms fill the surroundings. However, those of us who suffer from hay fever may find autumn time between September and November more suitable. I have seen cherry blossoms in South Korea and Japan, and they are very beautiful, but also make my pollen allergy more severe. Regarding GoWithGuide, I had a nice time with Michiko, who was my guide in Japan; however, I haven't tried their services in South Korea. You likely enjoy Seoul food very much. To experience it fully, be sure to also try the street food.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Go into anonymous / private viewing mode so as to not TOTALLY fill your computers memory with repetitive site deteris . . .
Then go to this site . . . . . .

If you want to do a tour of that area, left mouse click on the bus photo. . . .then Go DOG Go . . . . .

The Tamiya store seems to be physically INSIDE of a shopping center block, (BLUE KETCHUP)and is still there.

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
Definitely!
Thanks for chiming in! I'm really excited to check out all the food recommendations. Definitely gonna hit up the street food too. Anything in particular I should keep an eye out for? This trip is gonna be awesome thanks to all the great insider tips.

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
Go into anonymous / private viewing mode so as to not TOTALLY fill your computers memory with repetitive site deteris . . .
Then go to this site . . . . . .

If you want to do a tour of that area, left mouse click on the bus photo. . . .then Go DOG Go . . . . .

The Tamiya store seems to be physically INSIDE of a shopping center block, (BLUE KETCHUP)and is still there.

Thanks so much for providing that specific Google Maps link - that's exactly the kind of detail I was hoping for. Really appreciate you taking the time to track down that info. Definitely going to check out that maker space and Tamiya store now. Thanks for the tip on using private browsing too. Always good to learn new things from other makers.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
makerspace . . . Makerspace . . . MAKERSPACE.. . . . .

I know of no Makerspace . . . . .that has the 36,000 sq ft area coverage that the one serving the Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex has for $40 mo . . . .
Check it out . . . . . by taking this photo tour . . . . (Zoomable)

Associative story . . . . .

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssit . . .

Last edited:

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
I was their last year don't eat the barbecue pork; Or you'll get Trichinosis and a bad bacterial infection. ;)
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to steer clear of the barbecue pork then. Wouldn't want to risk getting sick and ruining the trip.

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
makerspace . . . Makerspace . . . MAKERSPACE.. . . . .

I know of no Makerspace . . . . .that has the 36,000 sq ft area coverage that the one serving the Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex has for $40 mo . . . .
Check it out . . . . . by taking this photo tour . . . . (Zoomable)

Associative story . . . . .

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssit . . .
Wow! Thanks for sharing that story about the Dallas Makerspace! 36,000 sq ft for only $40 a month is an amazing deal. I'll have to check it out if I'm ever in the area. Looks like both Korea and Dallas have great maker communities to be a part of.