Maker Pro
Maker Pro

F & P motor contol board

bristan

Dec 12, 2012
I am currently looking at repairing the motor control board for a fisher and paykel mw059 washing machine. There is quite a bit about this board on the net and also some discussion on this forum. I haven't been able to find any solution as yet.
It has a blown thermal fuse and two transistors gone. One of them , an IGBT in the circuit to pump A had been getting hot for some time as there is considerably brown on the board. The other one has blown apart and I cant read the type. It also is in the pump a circuit and directly connected to the emitter of the IGBT
I have read that this is a common problem.
There is 340 volt on the power side of the fuse but until I find the source of the short I cant check anything else. I am setting up a couple of 240v light globes to use as a temporary fuse.
Any information would be appreciated. The washer went for 12 years so I cant really complain however I would like to get it going again if I can. (not worth a new board)
Regards
Brian

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The heat damage on the board may not be anything to worry about.

Does the blown apart one show signs of heating to the board too?

What package are they in?

You may be able to add a small heatsink (if there's room) when you replace the IGBTs.

The fuse should give you an idea of the current rating needed for the IGBT.

Given the cost of IGBTs vs washing machines, I might think of replacing both and their associated drivers.

I bet there's no useful part numbers on the components though, right?

bristan

Dec 12, 2012
additionThe IGBT was marked and it is an IRG4RS10s. The other one has the front face mostly blown away and I cant tell.
I did a search and an identical problem came up on uk whitegoods forum. The poster had a photograph of the board and it was only when I saw the photo and checked my board that I realised that the second transistor on my board was blown also. This was after I had fitted a new IGBT and 5 amp fuse which both immediately blew on power up. This post was about four years ago and the fellow had lost interest but he did say that he had discovered the second transistor was a mosfet : HUF75309T3st. I think these are only available in a tape reel so he was going to use an IRLL024n which are available in 5 packs. The thermal fuse is 1.6amps.
I have another 4 igbts and I am going to order the 1RLL024N's , fit both and see what happens. I thought I might remove both transistors first and see if the shorts have gone. You are right in that a few transistors are much cheaper than a new washer but its just finding the right ones. I think the heatsinking was inadequate as it was only a small section of the pcb which has lifted from its backing.
F and P have a great business selling these boards at $170 i was also quoted $150 to repair it. From a search of the net. many people have problems with these boards.
I also saw a post <i think it was on this forum, where the poster says that one transistor goes and takes another one out with a short from rail to rail.
Following the circuit,the blown section comes from the pump through the IGBT switch then from its emitter goes to the emitter of the second transistor then to 0 volt. The other side of the pump , the pump b circuit, goes through some other transistors which seem ok . I assume this is the active supply.
Where would I find the drivers?. Would they be supplying the gates?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yes, check to see what's connected to the gates of both devices. apart from some passive components, you will hopefully find they are connected to a gate driver (typically a small 8 pin device).