Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heating coils with a 9v, why doesn't this work?

KB971033

Dec 11, 2017
Before I say anything I want to say I'm extremely new to electronics.
So I've ordered a spool of nichrome but in the meantime I've seen a lot of videos using small coils made from twist ties being used to make small lighters. Some videos have special batteries but a lot of them just use AA's or consumer 9v's to power the devices. I've made a small coil from a twist tie and I'm using a 9v battery and even when I touch the leads of the coil directly to the terminals on the battery I still get almost no heat whatsoever. If I attach the coil to my power supply(19amps 13.8volts, I realized this was an extremely poor choice as soon as the unit shut it's self off...) it glows bright red and starts to lose its shape like I expected. This leads me to believe that I'm just lacking amperage when I use the 9v and I'm wondering if the only thing I can do to rectify this is use nichrome or if I'm missing something? The videos all have little to no explanation they just have music and it's wildly frustrating.

Notes:
I can't check the resistance of the coil, my multimeter is broken.
I also tried it with a set of 8 AA's wired in series with the same negligible amount of heat

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Try doing some basic electrical/electronics 101 as you have no understanding.
I'm sure there are millions of sites on Google.
What you are attempting is just a dead short.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Actually, you should be able to get some heat from a 9V battery for a short period of time. A fresh one should be able to supply about 1A, but only for minutes. What size of nichrome wire did you buy? You would want a fairly fine one.

Bob

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I think your shorted battery will produce more heat than your nichrome wire or twist tie. But only a brand new alkaline battery and only for a minute or two.

I forgot to say that a new 9V alkaline battery will heat itself to about 12W for a few seconds when shorted then it will be dead in about 2 minutes. It takes time to heat up and the amount of internal heat will be dropping all the time it is shorted. Your power supply produced 19A x 13.8V= 262.2W continuously to your twist tie coil which is 22 times more power than the little 9V battery.

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Maximum power output will be when the source resistance equals the load resistance. The heating in the battery and load will be the same. Treating a battery like this however will give a it very short life.

KB971033

Dec 11, 2017
Actually, you should be able to get some heat from a 9V battery for a short period of time. A fresh one should be able to supply about 1A, but only for minutes. What size of nichrome wire did you buy? You would want a fairly fine one.

Bob
28 gauge, I also bought some 18650 batteries because I've seen this done with them as well. Would those provide a more impressive result?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
18650's are capable of much more current than a 9V, but are at a lower voltage.

Here are some nice charts about Nichrome wire:

Nichrome wire

28 gauge wire is about 4Ω per foot, and it takes almost 3A to heat to 1200 F which is what you would need to be "red hot". Less if you coil it. A nine-volt is not going to do that.

You would need a finer wire to heat to red hot with a nine volt.

36ga is 26Ω per foot. You If you used about 6 in in a coil that might do it.

Bob

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
Unfortunately, YouTube videos often show things that look neat but aren't possible in this universe - mostly, they're fake, Just trying to get "views".