Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HiPot Selenium Rectifier \ Diode Replacement

boontok

Sep 28, 2012
I’m wondering if anyone can figure this one out… I seem to have exhausted my searching…

I am looking for the equivalent replacement for the device pictured here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_tv13.html

or these:

http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv-old/hv/comp/comp1.html

I’ve found them to be called selenium rectifier rods, high voltage TV diodes, solid-state rectifier rods, etc. What exactly are they and how do I find their modern replacement?

The values on mine are: TV13-2K60

One end also reads: D7M
And the other end reads: L05

There are 3 of them wired in series directly to the high voltage output transformer on a Hipotronics H10 hipot.

Kindly appreciated.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
These are rectifiers used in colour tv LOPT stages to produce the EHT.
They have many little rectifier pucks inside the tube to in series to get the high voltage capability.
High voltage silicon diodes are available, I tried RS but, as usual, got lost in their website.
On the first links you gave, -10K = 10kV reverse voltage. Your diodes at -2K seem very low, are you sure you got the number right?

If you get some diodes out of an old TV, you will need a high voltage to test them, a normal meter will not have enough voltage to turn them on. You can clip two 9V batteries together to give 18V and measure this voltage through the diode. It should conduct in one direction and not in the other.

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Those particular EHT stick rectifiers were used in BW tvs & were 18-20KV. I still have a few leftover from BW tv repair days, & they apear to have gone with Dinasours. The only things that apear to be avalable are a few different types of EHT triplers for CRT type TVs.

boontok

Sep 28, 2012
Yes, those are the correct digits. I got those diodes out of an old hipot dielectric tester. In this image, the lead on the left is coming off the HV transformer. The 3 diodes are in series before they go to a 10k ohm resistor and then to the output lead.

How do these work, why are there 3 connected in series, and what would be the replacement for them? Also, what is EHT?

The hipot doesn’t produce more than 10kV.

Hipotronics_H10_output_stage-01.jpg