Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How long a motor can run

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
If i take a synchronous motor and operate under the normal operating conditions and within its limits, Can i run the motor continuously like 24*7 or it is always required that it be stopped in between the operation to allow it to cool? If i keep operating the motor and provide the necessary cooling does its temperature increases to a certain point and stop?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A general answer cannot be given.
Here's the key:
within its limits
If the motor can not run continuously, there should be a note in the manual or technical data. As for example you'll find in many small electric kitchen tools that they shall be operated for 5 minutes max. continuously, then need to cool down.
Large industrial motors are often designed for continuous operation as you can't shut down a factory regularly in short intervals to let the motors cool.
If i keep operating the motor and provide the necessary cooling does its temperature increases to a certain point and stop?
With increasing motor temperature the energy removed by thermal conductance and radiation increases. At some point the added energy from the motor's operation and the removed energy from thermal conductance and radiation will reach an equilibrium. At this point the temperature of the motor will no longer rise. As long as this point lies within the specifications of the motor all is good.
This happens with every system that dissipated energy, not only motors.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If i take a synchronous motor and operate under the normal operating conditions and within its limits, Can i run the motor continuously like 24*7 or it is always required that it be stopped in between the operation to allow it to cool? If i keep operating the motor and provide the necessary cooling does its temperature increases to a certain point and stop?

As pointed out, synchronous motor covers a wide range.
Can you be more specific?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
As others have mentioned, depends on the application, e.g. the older clocks were synchronous and ran 24/7!
M.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
There is no limit in the datasheet other than max. operating environmental temperature given by
Operating Temp.: 32-104°F (0-40°C)
So the motor should be good for continuous operation. Unless another forum member can read more info from this datasheet, follow the instructions at the end of the datasheet:
For More Information Visit The Website at www.hurstmfg.com or
Contact Hurst Engineering at 812-385-2564

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
I have seen this motor getting heated up very fast in some seconds, need to confirm again. But how do i know if the motor is running properly in continuous operation? The temperatures it is reaching is normal? What are the things i need to be careful, so that i don't damage the motor.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I have seen this motor getting heated up very fast in some seconds,
How much the motor heats up will depend not only on the power and cooling provided but also on the load attached.
The temperatures it is reaching is normal?
How should we be able to answer this question if you supply nothing but "heated up very fast"? What is the actual temperature you measured and where on the motor did you measure?
What are the things i need to be careful, so that i don't damage the motor.
Operate the motor within the specifications of the datasheet (voltage, load, ambient temperature etc.)
What voltage (RMS) do you operate the motor from? From what is marked in the datasheet ~ 20 V (RMS) are to be expected.
What is the actual current drawn by the motor in operation (when it gets hot)? Is it within specs? From what is marked in the datasheet max. ~3.5 A are to be expected. Absolute max would be ~7.5 A at max. load.

BY the way: The motor in the datasheet is not a simple synchronous motor but a brushless DC motor. I assume you are using the matching controller for this motor?

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
How much the motor heats up will depend not only on the power and cooling provided but also on the load attached.
It was running open load.
How should we be able to answer this question if you supply nothing but "heated up very fast"? What is the actual temperature you measured and where on the motor did you measure?
No i did not measure with any tool, i don't have any, if i touch the motor with hand i found it very hot and not sure if it is the correct method of doing it.
Operate the motor within the specifications of the datasheet (voltage, load, ambient temperature etc.)
What voltage (RMS) do you operate the motor from? From what is marked in the datasheet ~ 20 V (RMS) are to be expected.
What is the actual current drawn by the motor in operation (when it gets hot)? Is it within specs? From what is marked in the datasheet max. ~3.5 A are to be expected. Absolute max would be ~7.5 A at max. load.
I need to buy a current probe to measure i have only a oscilloscope and i am operating with 24V adapter provided with the kit.
BY the way: The motor in the datasheet is not a simple synchronous motor but a brushless DC motor. I assume you are using the matching controller for this motor?
Yes i am using a machine controller for this and running the FOC algorithm but not 100% sure if the algorithm is running perfectly.