Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I am seeking a builder person/friend. I'm a project manager in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

don.mitchell

Jun 1, 2023
A sophisticated but simple project is available to be built.

But I really need an experienced surface-mount eGaN knowledgeable person's head to suggest the next step. Power conversion skills are missing here... jump-start needed, hands-on builder huddle needed, kick-in-the-butt project start advice requested.

This project design uses eGaNs to create a step-phase magnetic array toward a Star Trek tricorder, as a close name. It's more a physics thing --from a retired hacker's level.

I'm the retired programmer, and now a wannabe project manager. This project is just past my fossilized maker skills.

Would you all talk friendly to me about finding casual hobby-people that want to lend skills to this project?

For the retired business person -- The project has attracted an open-source technology firm that needs to see a proof project.

The technology proof is an assembly of common things I'm sure many of you could advise about and design.

Please share your thoughts!

What are sensible steps one, two and three? And this is not corporate-persona teams, just hacker types in an animated huddle talking out a very interesting project to support UAP investigation in a startup corporation that emerged among contractors within the intelligence community. This is an open-source project I'm seeking expert startup advice about, and it is also the ground floor of a UAP 'impossible' physics cottage industry --maybe. The builder team would be the first to know.

One eGaN power-conversion designer could launch this project with me!

Thank you! Serious questions will be seriously addressed.

XenoEngineer, a.k.a. Don

don.mitchell

Jun 1, 2023
An eGaN is an enhanced FET, a transistor with a very fast gate. It was invented in 2010, and has been on the market several years, but predominantly in power-conversion equipment.

An eGaN transistor, a gallium nitride device, has a dissimilar crystal layer over the gate region of its FET construction (a field effect gate).

The quantum effect on electrons causes them to gather in the gate region, when power is turned on, because they are attracted to the quantum texture where dissimilar crystals meet. This means the FET gate is pre-populated with electrons to carry the gate signal to the power conduction region.

So these are very really fast. And they handle lots of wattage very fastly, also.

The eGaN is used here to better tickle the NMR response of a Field Array.

This eGaN switch project is essentially the design of a breakout board with a very tiny surface mount pattern for reflow-soldering the tiny eGaNs onto.

A design realized by a designer working with me would be fabricated by a PCB mfg company, based on the open source designs.

But the crowd of qualified help is thinned down to those that would have time to make a mark in the developing UAP technical community.

And any time is appreciated, and accredited. Also, we anticipate blue sky startup models, with documentation of volunteer equity toward negotiated buyout when certain project value margins are obtained and purchase team assets, including IP and key copyright holders.

Thanks for the question!

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I knew what Gallium Nitride was - the 'e' bit threw me.....

Given that all you're talking about is 'basic' power switching albeit with faster/more powerful devices I don't see what's so special about the possible deign of 'power conversion' type circuit.... any capable power circuit designer could adapt to the higher voltages/currents in question. What 'worries' me is the:
UAP 'impossible' physics cottage industry
bit.

As Del Boy would say... "You're 'avin a laugh aren't you?"

Colour me cynical - and outta here.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
This project design uses eGaNs to create a step-phase magnetic array toward a Star Trek tricorder, as a close name.
Please clarify what "a step-phase magnetic array" does, and what it means to you. A DuckDuckGo search revealed this link as the first result of the search. What does it have to do "toward a Star Trek tricorder?" We don't much like to play 20 questions here.

I see that not only are you new to this forum, but you hide any personal details and limit who can view your full profile. This is an open discussion forum. Feel free to lurk, but please do not feel left out if we don't take you seriously. We know NOTHING about you. An appeal to our most illustrious moderator, Steve, who I have actually met in person, is not necessary. You found your way here, you can find your way out.

BTW, IMHO an eGaN FET is an extremely poor choice if you are looking for fast switching speed, high-voltage hold-off capability, and high-current switching. The following story may yield some useful information.

Sandia National Laboratories (SNL), in pursuit of controlled nuclear fusion with their Z-Pinch experiments, invented a Photo-Conductive Semiconductor Switch (PCSS) based on semi-insulating GaAs that is capable of picosecond switching speed, multiple kilovolts of hold-off potential, and thousands of amperes of conduction current. It is a bi-stable switching device, triggered "on" by a (typically) nano-second width, infrared pulse, from a vertical cavity semiconductor laser. Once triggered, the device enters a so-called "lock in" mode and no further illumination is required because avalanche conduction occurs via impact ionization and continues until the current falls below the "lock in" threshold, at which point the device switches "off".

The PCSS is typically used with an electrical energy-storage network that is quickly recharged without re-triggering conduction. Pulse repetition rate can be very high (thousands of pulses per second), so even with short pulses considerable amounts of average power can be switched with virtually no losses. Below are two pictures showing the results of UES, Inc. (my former employer before I was "retired" in December 2014) efforts to improve on the Sandia PCSS.

1692728227317.jpeg

1692639110293.png

Status
Not open for further replies.