Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Interlogix NX8v2 Control Panel - Fire Zone Alarming Nonstop After Factory Reset

BrianR

Jun 12, 2024
This past Friday, we purchased a new NX-148E keypad for our second building, as the original keypad's display has been garbled/corrupted and hard to read for the past few years, but has recently gotten even worse.
However, due to my inexperience with the alarm system, and misreading the quick start guide, I entered the factory reset code instead of the keypad reset code, which wiped out all of the settings for our entire alarm system.
I have spent the past few days re-programming the system and getting all of our zones re-entered, and we have successfully re-registered the panel with the central station.
However, whenever I try to assign zone 8 as a fire zone using location 25, segment 8, the system immediately goes into a fire alarm condition after exiting the programming menu.
I have disconnected the two smoke alarm wires coming into the panel and measured their resistance to be 691 Ohms (my multimeter with auto range enabled actually displayed 0.691K, which I'm assuming just means 691 Ohms), which is close to the recommended 680 Ohms for 2-wire smoke detectors.
Interestingly enough, if I go to zone type 8's characteristic select at location 125, segment 1 and clear the fire zone bit, then exit the programming menu, the panel no longer constantly raises an alarm, and reports the zone as faulted.
If I then return to location 125, segment 4 and enable bit #2 (end of line resistor defeat), the zone no longer reports as faulted.
This is what I have done in the meantime to prevent the alarm from going off nonstop, and so that management can lock the building up at the end of the day without having to bypass zone 8.
Is there some other setting that I need to configure in order to get our previously working smoke alarms to stop falsely tripping the fire alarm?

Some more information about our setup:
Our control panel is an NX8, version 2 (not an NX8-E as far as I can tell).
No wiring changes have been made to any of the zones since before the control panel was factory reset, and so I can safely rule out any simple wiring issues being the culprit.
Zone doubling is enabled, and the two different value resistors are being used for zones 1-8 and 9-16.
Since zone 8 is supposed to be the fire zone, zone doubling should be disabled for that terminal, and hence zone 16 cannot be used (and was never wired in).
Our second building is connected to the NX8 panel in the main building via an NX-216E network expander.
Our two keypads are both the NX-148E LCD keypad.
We are not having any issues with any of our other zones, not even the fire zone (20) in the second building, which is passing through the network expander.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,

-BrianR.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Brian, my apologies for taking so long to respond. It's been a busy day.

I'm a retired alarm tech with over 40 years experience in the Washington DC area, but by some quirk of fate, I never worked with any of the Interlogix Panels. I always assumed that they just didn't sell a lot in this area.

I could make some suggestions of things to check, but from what you describe it sounds likely that there's some programming quirk you need to know, and you need a tech with Interlogix programming experience.
If you'll go to this site,
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/electronic-home-security-systems-alarms-devices-87/
You'll find a number of experienced alarm techs who can probably help.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Phil

BrianR

Jun 12, 2024
ChosunOne,
No need to apologize, I appreciate it! I know everyone has their own things that they need to take care of before they can help others out.
I'll be sure to re-post my request on that forum tomorrow once I'm back at work.

Thanks again for your assistance!
-BrianR.