Maker Pro

Is anyone using DesignSpark PCB?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Interesting. Might be worth looking at.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
they have mechanic version too. love rs for this.
have a few projects to do before checking out how good the program is

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
I've started using DesignSpark PCB with their version 3. I'm now using Version DesignSpark PCB version 5 which have 3D viewer of PCB and visual layout arrangement of component you created.

It have good tutorials.

It's easy to create components for schematic and pcb components and it have online quotation for components listed in its libraries.

Just received an email from DesignSpark. Announcing DesignSpark Mechanical their new 3D software.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
I just tried out DesignSpark PCB 5 for the last hour or so. I found it very difficult to use. Slow and clunky to do the most basic things like rotating a component. I couldn't even find basic outlines for the PCB such as SOIC-8. The few components I did try to place on the PCB generated an error saying that there was no PCB information for that component! Perhaps it didn't install itself properly.

It seems to have a lot of capabilities, and it's a shame that it is let down by the most basic user interface deficiencies. But based on this experience, I don't recommend it to anyone else.

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
I tried it for a while recently, but I wasnt able to locate any components in the library. The forum was no help at all so I gave up on it.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I use ExpressPCB for my DIY boards (and I have had them manufacture prototype boards as well). Their free software is by far the easiest to use that I have run across. Particualarly, adding new parts is a breeze, as opposed to Eagle where it is tedious to say the least. For one thing, you can take any existing part an modify very easily to make a new one.

Bob

techiesteve

Jul 27, 2013
When DesignSpark was introduced a member of my radio club ran a course on it for 6 of us. He had been a Number One Systems Easy PC user for many years, so knew Design Spark well. Just because its free doesn't mean it's good, I found it clunky and non intuitive, and haven't used it since.

MicroMe

May 18, 2014
Just discovered this forum, some great topics, but this subject interested me.
I have been using DesignSpark PCB since version 3 and now at version 6 and find it very usable. I think some of the replies above are really from the short evaluation time, to rotate a component simple select it (left click) and press the shortcut key R and it rotates 90 degree, just repeat for further rotates. As with most CAD programs the full options available are on the right click menu.

Many people instantly state there is 'nothing' in the library, but go to the Library Manager and the folders tab and even the old legacy components are available, but the best way is use ModelSource and many of the components from RS Components and their various footprints are all there.
If you can't find what you want then the Library Manger also has wizards to create schematic symbols and a very powerful footprint generator and these are combined to create your own component.

I found DesignSpark PCB when looking for a cost effective package for small business use, Eagle (free) for my requirements was too restrictive and the commercial versions I had to spend too much! The other CAD programs at that time had lots of issues being discussed on their forums, so I decided to jump in with DesignSpark PCB and learn the tool. It's not perfect, but quite good once you learn the ropes.

If anyone needs help with DesignSpark PCB I'll try to help, but I've only gone as far as double sided so far.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Sad to say I used It when it first came out. I found it a bit non intuitive as Kris mentioned. But using another program at work I didn't carry on.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I've tried to use it several times, but the registration always fails, so I've never even got to first base :(

I was hoping they'd have easy access to components and outlines based on RS part numbers but I've. Never been able to find out.

MicroMe

May 18, 2014
The registration has changed as DesignSpark said many emails were being blocked at the ISP spam filter so you don't even see them so you now you have a URL on your registration page to view and copy your serial number. No emails required!

ModelSource which was introduced from version 4 or 5 is the integrated component search tool (don't use the standalone one), it can search the RS site by the search categories and then you have a results filter to select your part OR just do quick search of the RS part number OR enter the manufacturers part number/description.

Once you find your component you simply click "Preview" and you can see the schematic and pcb symbol, then click "Use component" and it is downloaded into a local library folder. Finally click the schematic symbol and drag to your design as many times as required and it auto increments D1, D2, D3..... etc. So once you have found your part, in 3 mouse clicks it's in your library and on your schematic sheet.

It's really quite good now, not perfect, but you soon learn not to search for "74" or other mega result generators!

KeenaStewart89

May 19, 2014
It's not difficult to make parts for schematic and pcb segments and it have online citation for parts recorded in its libraries.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
The reason that some library components not found was due to improper configuration of library folders. And there' were 3 types of library of DesignSpark ie. schematic symbols, pcb symbols and components. This is to simplify creating of new components. You can add library folders from different drive volumes or network drives.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
I use ExpressPCB for my DIY boards (and I have had them manufacture prototype boards as well). Their free software is by far the easiest to use that I have run across. Particualarly, adding new parts is a breeze, as opposed to Eagle where it is tedious to say the least. For one thing, you can take any existing part an modify very easily to make a new one.

Bob
Bob, can you save the file for your own pcb fabrication or is it proprietary and you have to use their manufacturer?

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
You can not export boards to send to other manufacturers with Express PCB. I use Express PCB for my circuit layouts because it looks very professional and it is easy to use. And I use Design Spark PCB to do my PCBs because I have to. I have found Design Spark PCB to be annoying, hard to use, and time consuming. But it is the only program that I could find that will work for designing PCBs.

Edit: On the positive side of Design Spark PCB, they have a good forum where you can get quick answers on the program

Dan

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
*finally* got it installed!

Ed Kelly

Feb 1, 2016
DesignSpark is really very good I think. I've been using it to build custom analog synthesizer parts. It is free!
But, it's better if you...
1) import components from the RS electronics part number from their catalog using the ModelSource bar (from the View menu) - of course they are trying to sell components, and
2) import Eagle libraries : http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/tutorial/importing-eagle-libraries