Maker Pro
Maker Pro

JVC RX-450 receiver has high impedance outputs

krispy

Oct 13, 2019
Hello,

I'm trying to repair my JVC RX-450 receiver. After some troubleshooting I determined that while I can pass a signal to the output for the speakers and I can see up to a 14V signal, as soon as I connect an 8Ω speaker, the voltage drops to the millivolt range. I don't really know how to proceed from here so any help is appreciated.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Could simply be that the speaker selection switches are a bit oxidised and are presenting a high resistance to the speaker path. You could try cleaning the contacts and see if there is any difference after.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Is the 14 volts unloaded an ac voltage (audio) or is it a DC voltage (offset)? When you power on the unit, do you hear the protection relay click after a few seconds?

krispy

Oct 13, 2019
Ylli: The 14V is ac. The relay does click. There was no 60Hz hum or static no matter how loud the volume was turned up.

Whonoes: Thank you for your suggestion. That wasn't it but it helped me solve the problem. Turns out the speaker selection switches (labeled '1' and '2') were the issue. I thought I should have both on (speaker 1 on and speaker 2 on). In reality, it seems that I'm supposed to set it as either '1 speaker' or '2 speakers.' Why there are two independent switches for a single setting instead of a slider switch between '1' and '2' I don't know. Anyway, it seems the problem is solved.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Glad you found the issue. Many amps do not like loads heavier than 8 ohms. So when you switch in both speaker 1 and speaker 2, the speakers are connected in series instead of parallel. If you select speaker 2 and there is no speaker 2, then no complete circuit and no sound..