Maker Pro
Maker Pro

led cube

jmh474

Jun 24, 2014
So im thinking of making a led cube myself and im thinking of using this kit off ebay could anyone tell me if its any good please thanks, and if it is any good what else would i need to get to connect it to the arduino uno or arduino or pc and where to get the codes i would need, im a noob to this sort of thing but i to have basic electronic skills as im an electrician but its more houses i do, so any help would be grate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-LightS...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item35d70ae3e1

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi and welcome to Electronics Point :)

It's pretty inexpensive.

I think it depends what you want to achieve. If you want to learn about electronics and microcontrollers, and if you want something you can hack and improve on as you learn more, you're probably barking up the wrong tree with this one.

If you want to make something that looks cool, to sit in the corner and wow your friends, it might be worth a go. Generally though, inexpensive products developed in China and sold cheaply through eBay have a poor reputation for quality control and documentation quality.

jmh474

Jun 24, 2014
its that a friend want me to help him build one the building im ok with its more the programing im more worried about any tips people can give me would be grate?? iv downloaded the schematics and things seem to be abit more clearer but they don't give you much help on the programing side of things, i would like to link it to a arduino i as im guessing that i can get more complex lighting on the arduino that the STC12C5A60S2 chip thanks again

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
I think you would be limited to the patterns that are pre-programmed into it, unless you have an 8051 C compiler. They include a source code module but I don't know whether that's enough. There's no information on changing the patterns. Also, that diagram is not a complete schematic.

I get the feeling that they include part of the schematic and part of the code so they could claim it was a complete kit without giving their competitors enough information to recreate it. I could be wrong though.

You probably could connect it to an Arduino but I think you would be better to buy something that was properly documented and where the design had been inspected by others.

Here's an example of the quality of their documentation. It comes from their "welding" guide. (No, really!):
"Then water cutting pliers or diagonal cutting pliers cut the needle seat next to the plastic, cut out the water cutting pliers is better, of course not can also be cut and is less beautiful". Poetry!

jmh474

Jun 24, 2014
sorry to ask this then but how would you program new patterns they have just updated their Material Download link as i pointed a few things out to them and yes i know what you mean about the so caled welding guide lol not really planning to use it that much there is a sort of app download in their Material Download if you fancy looking over the update thanks again for your help

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
The documentation looks the same to me. Of very little use.

I'm fairly confident in recommending that you avoid that kit and that company.