Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lighting for street sign

piers

Jul 31, 2023
I bought a pedestrian walk/dont walk streetsign at a boot fair, Im putting in twoGU10 led lights. Is there an automatic switch I can make that will alternate between the two bulbs so one is on and then the other alternately, changing automatically every 20 seconds or so? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
LOL - sorry. Don't know what made me do that (other than age)!

Problem wit individual output settings is that it's almost impossible to set them they don't eventually go out of sync and overlap. The way to go would be to use one output to drive a relay with c/o contacts and connect the two lamps to the outputs of that relay.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
LOL - sorry. Don't know what made me do that (other than age)!

Problem wit individual output settings is that it's almost impossible to set them they don't eventually go out of sync and overlap.

That is not how it works. The circuit is, effectively, two monostables in series in a circle. The end of each one's pulse triggers the other one. The output pulses cannot overlap in any circumstance. If you want to build one, I would use a CD4093 for the monostables (two gates each) and two sensitive-gate TRIACS.

Getting an exact 50/50 duty cycle requires tweaking both adjustments, and changing the overall cycle frequency also requires changing both adjustments.

ak

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The way to go would be to use one output to drive a relay with c/o contacts and connect the two lamps to the outputs of that relay.
Allow me to disagree: The two outputs should be active alternatingly. What you set is the on-time individually for each output.
Thus:
output one is active for time 1
output 1 goes inactive, output 2 becomes active and stays active for time 2
output 2 goes inactive, output 1 becomes active and stays active for time 1
etc. etc.

No way the two outputs can run out of sync.