Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a mini LED light...

Zendragon

May 24, 2010
Hello all, I am new. Very new.

What I know about electronics could fit into thimble.

I have a project and could use some suggestions...

I am trying to build a portable, small, LED light with decent run time ideally off the smallest battery source possible. Like what you see in this photo.

The lights will need to be about 1.5" in diameter and not too tall.

I was thinking that maybe I could use a single high intensity LED, smaller the better, with a reflective white tape backing build into a case using translucent white plastic. Run the wires out to a battery source, thinking watch battery with a small on/off switch.

But I don't know where to start and where I can get the brightest and smallest LEDs possible or if it would even work.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Zendragon

May 24, 2010
And here is the image

25536_1345152823352_1067219145_1023.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would suggest looking for some small LED headlamps. If you can find something with external batteries then you may be able to run the wired down the back of the hands and arms (inside gloves for example) to a reasonable size battery hidden somewhere not too obvious.

You also need to consider the level of brightness required. It will vary greatly if it needs to be visible in daylight to visible on a darkened stage.

That is really a most bizarre photo.

Here is a site that has a large number of cheap and cheerful stuff like this. You may find something that could be converted at low cost. Just be careful of the quality...

Zendragon

May 24, 2010
Thanks for your response.

Day time lighting will be less of an issue...
There are three pics to give you more of an idea what I want/need to do here. Each light appears to have a separate power source, you can sort of see the battery pack on the hands. The top I think I see it in the front under the fabric.

Do you know of a decent place to get bright yet small LEDs?

P1010867_2-800-1.jpg

28923_108511959193643_1041891962-1.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, I have to ask. What is this for? Self-illuminated strippers? High-visibility hookers?

Just asking...

Zendragon

May 24, 2010
OK, I have to ask. What is this for? Self-illuminated strippers? High-visibility hookers?

Just asking...

Hahahaha nice one.

Well this costume is from the new Iron Man movie and I have a friend that is making one, so I am trying to help her with lighting.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Fair enough. I've been involved on the periphery of some stage lighting effects, and I actually wondered if it was something like that.

Zendragon

May 24, 2010
Fair enough. I've been involved on the periphery of some stage lighting effects, and I actually wondered if it was something like that.

Well it's an odd enough request, especially without knowing the context.

But basically the lighting on the "cheer leaders" matches that of the Ironman armor

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
If your knowledge is as little as you say, buying head lamps is your only realistic option. The specifications you have set out are not trivial and not something you can realistically achieve as your first design project.

Now commercially designing small stick-on LEDs as stripper accessories is an interesting and commercially viable idea. Back-lighting is one of the available tools to hide less than flattering details. Located next to a scar or stretch mark, no one will be able to look at the light and notice the blemish near it. It can also be used to silhouette certain sagging body parts. The novelty will be such that the gawker, I mean customer, will not notice what it is really accomplishing!

---55p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
...as stripper accessories...

55p, it's more iron and less wood ;)

Myself, I'm more the lead and tin man. However the powers that be want me to get the lead out and become the tin man. I just don't have the heart for it.