Do you mean something like this Bob?
Adam

Attachments

• COMPVOLT.PNG
    COMPVOLT.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 155

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Yep. The lowest R would light only 1 LED, the highest one all 4. (with the resistors chosen properly).

Bob

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
An LM3914 could be made to do this too.

ngreen11

Mar 13, 2014
So is this comparator an ic? If so, what number is it and also what schematic would I follow? The first one or the second one? Thank you all that have helped and given advice. I have almost figured this out using an arduino micro but would rather not tie that up when I can make a discreet circuit.

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
Why not use a small microcontroller, sending a serial character. like a number <1>. The next send a <2> and so on. on the receiving end you need a microcontroller receiving the number and decoding it on a set of LEDs or a display. You could even have an automatic polarity correction, and indicate if the cable is reversed.

If you don't want to use a microcontroller, you can use a much simpler version with logic parts. I could try to draw a logic based tester set for you, but I need some more info.

How many testers do you need working at the same time? (I saw he number 4, but is that practical?)
Do you need to decode each lead in a cable, or is it coded?
Are the cables powerless when tested?

ngreen11

Mar 13, 2014
It will be used for testing coaxial cable. Only one will be used at a time. However I would like four different sensors. I would put one in different locations in the house then where all the cables meet, I would use the tester to find which cable goes where. They must be identifiable. No need for reverse polarity correction. No need to identify separate wires. No power on the line while testing.

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
As I replied in post 17 I have a circuit that does what you want, it runs off 3 AA batteries and uses 8 parts. It can identify 10 cables. If you send me a private message with your email address I will send you all the details.

Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
brevor, why don't you post the schematic here. It may be useful to others, and we can check it. I'm interested to see it too. I've started designing a circuit but it has a lot more than eight parts.

Click Go Advanced, then click the paper clip icon. Browse and select the file, click Upload.

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
brevor, why don't you post the schematic here. It may be useful to others, and we can check it. I'm interested to see it too. I've started designing a circuit but it has a lot more than eight parts.

Click Go Advanced, then click the paper clip icon. Browse and select the file, click Upload.

Can I post Eagle files ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Can I post Eagle files ?

The screen grab would be most useful, however if you wish to (and the files are small enough) you can also zip up the eagle files and attach them.

I would also be interested.

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
Schematic

Ok I will give this a try, here is the schematic.

Well I cut off the bottom, That bit at the bottom labeled TP2 is the common return to the tester ground. The resistors at the left are the remote unit. For the OP's application these resistors would be seperated.
Each resistor when individually connected between the input and common of the circuit will give a reading from 0 (zero Ohm jumper) to 9 (100K resistor). An open circuit shows a - (dash) character.

It uses a PIC 16F676 microcontroller, If anyone is interested I could post the Hex file here somewhere.

If anyone trys to build this a high brightness common anode display would work best. The segments are individually multiplexed to save power so it's not real bright. This circuit is still a work in progress, I am going to try changing R1 from 100 Ohms to 51 Ohms to try to improve the brightness.

Attachments

• Cable_Tracer.bmp
    68 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
That's a good start, but not all of the circuit is visible.

GIF is a better format than BMP for schematics - the cropped GIF in this post is only one tenth of the file size of the BMP.

I see you reduced your screen capture to a monochrome image to make the file smaller. That's a good idea, but if you use GIF format, you may not need to reduce it so drastically - just to 256 or 16 colours, and it may look better as a result.

attachment.php

You can insert the image inline in your post, like I just did. When you've clicked Upload on the Manage Attachments dialog box, the filename will appear in the section marked Current Attachments. Right-click it, and choose Copy Link Location (or similar). Then close the dialog. Then, click the Insert Image tool (below and to the right of the paper clip) and paste the location of the attachment into the entry field.

Attachments

• Cable_Tracer.gif
    Cable_Tracer.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 198

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
Thank you Kris,
I appreciate the help, Im new to uploading schematics.

ngreen11

Mar 13, 2014
It would figure I don't have a pic16f676 on hand. Are there any other alternatives or replacements for that particular controller?

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
It would figure I don't have a pic16f676 on hand. Are there any other alternatives or replacements for that particular controller?

Not a problem I have several, I can send you one thats already programmed free of charge.
I have sent you an e-mail.

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
Uh sorry, I just noticed there is a mistake on that schematic I posted.
The bottom of resistor R3 and the debug jumper should connect to pin 4 of the IC
(RA3) not pin 2.