Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Molex battery connector placement problem

JimQQ

Apr 18, 2024
I have placed a male Molex battery connector (#78171-0002) on a PCB board but the problem is that the mating female connector (#78172-0002) does not clip securely on the male one. The result is that it comes out very easily by pulling it even with a little force.

Has anyone else had the same problem to give me a solution to hold tight the female with the male connectors?

Thank you

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have placed a male Molex battery connector (#78171-0002) on a PCB board but the problem is that the mating female connector (#78172-0002) does not clip securely on the male one. The result is that it comes out very easily by pulling it even with a little force.

Has anyone else had the same problem to give me a solution to hold tight the female with the male connectors?

Thank you

A photo of what you are dealing with would help all of us suggest solutions for you

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
And also because different manufacturers have different tolerances.
Right. You should use male/female combinations from the same manufacturer. Even if another manufacturer states "compatible with ...". Real cross compatibility between connectors of the same type from different manufacturers is often not 100 % - unless stated explicitly otherwise (e.g. when the connectors are standardized by an international standard).

JimQQ

Apr 18, 2024
battery pair headers.jpg

Thank you for your applies, I hope the photos will help you understand how easily the connectros disconnect from each other by simply moving them.
Please notice that the size of the male connector on the PCB board is around 4mm X 5mm.

JimQQ

Apr 18, 2024
Yes, a few times.
That’s why the manufacturer sometimes puts glue over the mating halves.
And also because different manufacturers have different tolerances.
Thank you for your immediate response. Can you point out to me more specifically where exactly I should apply the glue? You can use the photos I have already attached.