Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mower magneto increase high volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russwr

Dec 20, 2019
How to increase high voltage of magnet magneto generated ignition from it's 10kv autotransformer? Pulsing DC one way Negative high voltage output with positive ground is not AC that, would use a voltage multiplier circuit. What about superimposing 12V battery over the primary winding? The magnet generated 5-8volts into winding. The reverse back EMF generated -140v that operates the secondary side.Then the ratio 100/1 makes 10kv.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
What about superimposing 12V battery over the primary winding?
That would add direct current, hence a constant additional magnetic flux, so won't help. It's the changes in magnetic flux which induce the HV.

russwr

Dec 20, 2019
That would add direct current, hence a constant additional magnetic flux, so won't help. It's the changes in magnetic flux which induce the HV.
The charge induced by magnet gets SHORTED to ground. The Negative back emf of -130 volts generated is what runs the secondary. A superimposed 12v DC added to the lower 5-8 volts Primary,..... seems to me would work since it also gets SHORTED to ground by the solid state Briggs trigger mounted on the autotransformer. Seems to me the output high volts would be higher?? What do you think?

russwr

Dec 20, 2019
An Inverter with ac output could operate primary of a regular type Ignition transformer , so as then,a voltage multiplier could be used. The current mower engines have a built in epoxied solid state trigger for the final MAGNETRON , 3 terminal autotransformer, so as it is a one piece unit. The original type was called a MAGNETO as just a transformer that worked with points contacts and condenser capacitor. Then came the same MAGNETO that could be used with an accessory trigger module , either Briggs brand or the universal type trigger module which was better, as engine would start at less cranking speed.
Another idea of mine was to ADD stronger magnets to the curved ALNICO magnet embedded in rim of flywheel. Magnets are not made as exact curve of flywheel. Therefore the only way is to use thin type , vertical, NEODYMIUM magnets super glued onto the existing one so as north pole faces outward that is .012" from MAGNETRON core laminations. This is called armature gap. The thin sideways measure has less of a curve for each one! I succesfully tested this theory on hand made spinning wood flywheel that fires a magnetron/magneto with trigger. Resulting high volts actual readings were not measured. I was also able to switch to a Positive high volts , rather than regular negative high volts with positive ground. (Upside down ignition coil) Ok If magneto with separate trigger, but not Briggs brand complete Magnetron. (The MAGNETRON coil using the universal type trigger will operate both polarities- but not the older style Briggs brand. ) See different photos of both types. On very old lawnmowers, the smaller flywheel had 2 magnets of both north and south poles firing the ignition coil with AC, with breaker points and condensor.
Some older cars had what was called HEI high energy ignition coils with outputs of 23-60,000volts. The mower ignition firing is only 10kv under compression , 6kv in air, and needs to be greatly increased in voltage for use with alternate energy projects that need a pre-type PLASMA PATH across spark plug, as the much higher voltage HEI units already do. How do you think this should be done. I am not an engineer.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
What about superimposing 12V battery over the primary winding?
If at all possible ( I don't see how...superimposing) .....you will definetely cook the guts out of the primary winding.
One would wonder why you need to do this.
We see many who come to offer suggestions on how they think things should be done instead of offering up what they want a particular project to achieve.
There is a name for it which escapes me at the moment......... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
the smaller flywheel had 2 magnets of both north and south poles firing the ignition coil with AC,
No, one was to charge the coil ( so-to-speak) the other was to assist the coil collapse.
Still nothing to point to what or why you want to play with this arrangement.

russwr

Dec 20, 2019
The Briggs ignition coil (armature) gets about 1-1.6 amps induced into it, at about 5-8 volts, from the spinning flywheel magnet. The system shorts, to put out back EMF of -140volts. I propose using primary connection of 12v DC with resistance so as limiting current DC, but higher than normal. Resulting magnetic field should be higher. It will also short to ground with trigger as usual. Also several technicians have added capacitance with auto ignition primary coil inductance , so as raising the operating frequency of entire transformer, and increasing efficiency and higher voltage, due to being closer to the resonant frequency of transformer itself. No one has mentioned this about lawnmower coils. There are ignition boosters for sale but they are electric. Most riding lawn mower engines use a magnet for ignition, and 12 magnets for battery charging with enclosed ring alternator- only the crankshaft has to turn. A standard Lawn mower engine cannot be used for an alternate energy project without some way of greatly increaing the output voltage.l The Last resort is the conversion to car coil HEI, or adding to spark plug what is commonly called "Peaking Capacitor " of 100pf at 30KV,- which works, but dangerous to humans. The parallel spark capacitor has slightly raised up gas mileage of car owners with slight gain in power.

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
A standard Lawn mower engine cannot be used for an alternate energy project
NOW we get to the real intended project ...well the idea at least.....
Only answer I have is "crackpot alternate energy " ....99.9% are based on ideas in place of theory or practical ability.
You still don't say WHY the HT of the engine needs to increase........must be gazillions of these B&S motors around running just fine on what is already there.
I actually have a couple myself.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
A standard Lawn mower engine cannot be used for an alternate energy project without some way of greatly increaing the output voltage.l The Last resort is the conversion to car coil HEI, or adding to spark plug what is commonly called "Peaking Capacitor " of 100pf at 30KV,- which works, but dangerous to humans. The parallel spark capacitor has slightly raised up gas mileage of car owners with slight gain in power.

you dont understand the physics of power generation
You CANNOT get more power out than what is put into the system
raising the output voltage just reduces the available current ... the power ( in Watts) will be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.