Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Nichrome wire heating project. help please!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You are correct: methanol is used as racing fuel. It is especially dangerous because it burns without a visible flame.

Not sure about how methanol behaves as a fuel compared to gasoline, but 10% ethanol mixed with various octane grades of gasoline is routinely delivered by gasoline pumps in the States. Lately, here in Venice, Florida, you can purchase gasoline without the ethanol by paying an extra per-gallon cost. I think it is popular for use in watercraft (marine) engines. I have also heard that ethanol added to gasoline causes damage to aluminum fuel system components.

I've been using it (forced to use it, actually) for many years now but have not noticed any fuel system problems. A friend who rides motorcycles uses nitrous oxide injection to give her crotch-rocket a bit of a burst of speed. Not for the faint of heart. I used ordinary 87 octane unleaded gasoline to fuel my 2000 Honda 1100cc Shadow ACE cruiser. That makes it go plenty fast enough for me:

3166.jpg

That's not me on the bike, but it is how I dress when I ride: full leathers and high-top boots. This is a stock picture that closely resembles my motorcycle, now stored in my garage in Dayton, Ohio.