Maker Pro
Maker Pro

old EMUD tube radio has some problems.

bitshoptyler

Jul 29, 2010
I've got an old tube radio that was sitting up in an attic for at least 30 years, and doesn't work any more. It is a model 1010, and if anyone could tell me how to figure out what the chassis model is, I could probably get schematics for it and fix it.
Okay, the problem, it does not work off the main power cord. I figured out that it was the second section of the cord (after the safety feature that doesn't let the radio turn on if the back is missing. I replaced the part of the cord with a new one, but it still doesn't work. Now it gets weird. I looked at how the radio was powered, and decided it wouldn't be safe, but would work if I powered the radio off the record players power cord (built in record player), the cord sort of splices off the main power cord, with some stuff in between that shouldn't have affected it. It worked for FM, but the left channel didn't work ( looking from the back of the radio out), it doesn't work no matter what you do, just buzzes, and sometimes pops, so some kind of signal is getting to it. Also, AM and SW didn't seem to work at first, but I noticed that if you pressed the SW button down it would pop and try to tune a station, i pused it down a little, still not to where it would stay down, and repeated. Eventually I got an AM signal, but only if none of the input buttons were pushed down. If you pushed down the AM or SW button, it stopped. The on/off button also does not turn it off. That may be because I powered it with the record player cord that was meant to power not be powered from. The SW radio may work when either the AM or SW button is pushed, but it may just may not be picking up anything ( I live near D.C.). Any help in finding the chassis model wouldbe appreciated.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It sounds like old hardened grease and oxide is preventing the switches from operating properly. Apply some contact spray and operate them (without power on).
Tube pins/sockets may also be oxidised. No spray for these I guess but try to pull them out & reinsert them a few times.
Someone else may be able to recognize the chassis from pictures, but at least post a tube list.

DAVEJ

Sep 10, 2010
Emud radio 1010

I think I have the same one. FM does not broadcast in stereo, so if you have the stereo button pushed down sound will just come out of 1 speaker. I don't understand why that small section of power cord would not work,check the small fuse there,you may be bypassing the fuse going through the record player power cord. Sounds like a lot of switch contacts need to be cleaned from the trouble you're having,but who knows,could be a lot of things. Not sure what the chassis model would be, mine is just a "1010" from 1962,in a console cabinet with a BSR Monarch record player.Let me know if you give up and want to get rid of the chassis, I could use it.