Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Output Amplifier for a project

Abhijeet Patil

Oct 1, 2016
Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a project and stuck at a point. This is basic transistor network but i couldnt understand how exactly working.
Input to the network is coming through R171, from a Digital to Analog converter and some op-amp networks.
Output of the network is at the collectors of T19 and T8 going out through a fuse F1.
If someone can help me i will give you further details in the circuit.
Thanksop amplifier.PNG

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
welcome to EP :)

this is a push-pull output amplifier
from wiki ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push–pull_output

A push–pull amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that uses a pair of active devices that alternately supply current to, or absorb current from, a connected load. Push–pull outputs are present in TTL and CMOS digital logic circuits and in some types of amplifiers, and are usually realized as a complementary pair of transistors, one dissipating or sinking current from the load to ground or a negative power supply, and the other supplying or sourcing current to the load from a positive power supply.

A push–pull amplifier is more efficient than a single-ended "class-A" amplifier. The output power that can be achieved is higher than the continuous dissipation rating of either transistor or tube used alone and increases the power available for a given supply voltage. Symmetrical construction of the two sides of the amplifier means that even-order harmonics are cancelled, which can reduce distortion.[1] DC current is cancelled in the output, allowing a smaller output transformer to be used than in a single-ended amplifier. However, the push–pull amplifier requires a phase-splitting component that adds complexity and cost to the system; use of center-tapped transformers for input and output is a common technique but adds weight and restricts performance. If the two parts of the amplifier do not have identical characteristics, distortion can be introduced as the two halves of the input waveform are amplified unequally. Crossover distortion can be created near the zero point of each cycle as one device is cut off and the other device enters its active region.

Push-pull circuits are widely used in many amplifier output stages. A pair of audion tubes connected in push–pull is described in Edwin H. Colpitts' US patent 1137384 granted in 1915, although the patent does not specifically claim the push–pull connection.[2] The technique was well-known at that time [3] and the principle had been claimed in an 1895 patent predating electronic amplifiers.[4] Possibly the first commercial product using a push–pull amplifier was the RCA Balanced amplifier released in 1924 for use with their Radiola III regenerative broadcast receiver.[5] By using a pair of low-power vacuum tubes in push–pull configuration, the amplifier allowed the use of a loudspeaker instead of headphones, while providing acceptable battery life with low standby power consumption.[6] The technique continues to be used in audio, radio frequency, digital and power electronics systems today.

also from
http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/Amplifiers/amplifiers54.php

Transformerless Push-Pull
complementary-pair.gif

Fig 5.4.4 Transformerless push-pull
operation using a complementary pair

Another popular push pull amplifier design operates with neither a phase splitter input or an impedance matching output transformer. Instead it uses a complimentary pair of transistors, that is one NPN and one PNP transistor connected in common collector (emitter follower) mode as shown in Fig. 5.4.4.

An output transformer is not needed as the transistors in emitter follower mode have a low enough output impedance to match directly to output devices having a typical impedance of about 25 to 75 ohms, such as loudspeakers or motors. Because of the complimentary pair working in opposite polarity to each other (the NPN transistor biased on by the positive half cycle, while the PNP is biased off by the same half cycle), no phase splitting circuit is needed either.

cheers
Dave

Abhijeet Patil

Oct 1, 2016
hi there
welcome to EP :)

this is a push-pull output amplifier
from wiki ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push–pull_output

also from
http://www.learnabout-electronics.org/Amplifiers/amplifiers54.php

cheers
Dave
Hello Dave, I have been through this previously but if you notice circuit properly input is given to the emitters of both of the input transistors T13 and T10, and bases are provided with +6V dc and -6V dc respectively. so I am not sure it is Push Pull, some other combination .

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a project and stuck at a point. This is basic transistor network but i couldnt understand how exactly working.
Input to the network is coming through R171, from a Digital to Analog converter and some op-amp networks.
Output of the network is at the collectors of T19 and T8 going out through a fuse F1.
If someone can help me i will give you further details in the circuit.
ThanksView attachment 29431

Yep, pretty standard push-pull. The nice feature is T9 and T18 as current limiting circuits to protect T8 and T19. For example T8 and T9. As T8 emitter current increases the voltage drop across the emitter resistors reaches about 0.6 V and T9 starts to conduct dragging down the signal going to the base of T8.
Re: T10 and T13
Common base circuits. Not really + and - 6 V going to the bases. The diode DD17 keeps the bases at about + and - 0.6 V