Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Paddle board pump trips power station breaker

Rich_7918

Aug 20, 2023
I've got this new 12v air pump for the paddle board. I was hoping to run it with my lithium power station. By the numbers it should run it, I believe, and it does at low PSI. Once the pressure goes above 2psi the motor kicks into a higher power setting and has a startup power draw that must be too high for the power bank and trips the power bank's breaker. Is there some easy circuitry that could dampen that over current draw and keep the breaker from tripping?

1A85FB5B-9C9C-46DC-936C-A196B8AC74F9.jpegF0EBC3E5-63E1-4E49-85FA-CC774454D2FD.jpeg

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There are devices called 'soft starters' which use a series resistor to limit current but also have a shorting contact across the resistor to remove it from the circuit when the initial surge period has passed.

These are commonly available for AC motors but I don't recall seeing one for a 12V motor - that's not to say they can't be 'found', I just haven't looked.

But the principle still applies and if one doesn't exist then one could be made - if you have the time and inclination. Would be simpler to get another battery pack that can deliver a higher surge current.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Can you open the pump and disconnect the air connection to the pressure switch that tells the motor to go to a higher speed?

Rich_7918

Aug 20, 2023
Can you open the pump and disconnect the air connection to the pressure switch that tells the motor to go to a higher speed?
Maybe, but I need it to switch over to the higher speed because that’s what allows it to get to the higher PSI needed for the paddle board. I need it to not create such a strong current draw when it switches.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Maybe, but I need it to switch over to the higher speed because that’s what allows it to get to the higher PSI needed for the paddle board. I need it to not create such a strong current draw when it switches.
One possible solution is to use a PTC current surge arrestor in series with the wire to the motor that generates the higher speed, such as one here, with about a 10A rating and a 1Ω cold resistance.

Rich_7918

Aug 20, 2023
One possible solution is to use a PTC current surge arrestor in series with the wire to the motor that generates the higher speed, such as one here, with about a 10A rating and a 1Ω cold resistance.
Thanks for the reply! This sounds promising! I think it’s time to buy a soldering gun!

crutschow

May 7, 2021
I think it’s time to buy a soldering gun!
If you haven't soldered before, then practice soldering some pieces of copper wire together using tin-lead solder (lead-free solder is more difficult to use).
Applying a small amount of rosin flux (not acid type) before soldering will greatly help in the soldering action
And don't use too much solder. The joints should still show the outline of the wire after you are done.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Just noticed that the current surge suppressor is a NTC device not a PTC.