Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PCB production panel details

Rggmiranda

Mar 1, 2014
Hi, I have a question about when you send a board to be manufactured.
I want to panelize my design. My questions are:

1- Are there any standard size panels that I should use? I know the maximum of my manufacturer, and I want to stay way smaller than that, but apart from the maximum they do not specify any standard dimension, so can I use whatever I like? And when it comes to the pick and place machine, can it work with any panel size?

2- How much clearance should I leave for V grooving? is it better to place one board next to the other or should I leave a piece of pcb between them?

3- Still about V grooving, do they do it across the entire board or can I specify the limits of the cut in my design?

4- Are there any standard vias sizes? I know maximum and minimum, but apart from that, can I choose whatever size or should it be 0,4 - 0,5 - 0,6 for example instead of 0,432.

5- About feducials for the PCBA, should i put them next to the tooling holes in the top and bottom tab (I read about using a 0,25 Inch tab)? Any position particular or anywhere is fine?

6- About tooling holes, same question as 5, which size and position should the be at?

7- In my board I selected the board shape from a CAD file I made, in which I already had some mounting holes cut, so the board shape has those holes, should I specify in Altium that there is a hole in there or they can assume it from the board shape?

Thanks in advance for any help

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
When we get PCBs manufactured and assembled I let the company that's going to assemble the PCBs choose how to set up the panel. They know what assembly equipment they have and the size of PCBs they prefer. When V-scoring, the PCBs are placed next to each other but allow your PCB to be 0.6 mm under or oversized, don't have any traces or copper pour within 0.6 mm of the board edge.

I don't place fiducials on my PCBs they take up valuable board space. The assembler will often have them placed around the edge of the panel if they think they need one.

There are no standard vias, all you have to make sure is that the PCB manufacture can produce them, check their website for their technical abilities.

Show us a picture of this hole you are on about.

Thanks
Adam

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A
nother option is to simply request these answers from your supplier

Jackye

Feb 22, 2017
For a small order, I'd suggest working with a company that does both board fabrication and assembly(sourcing included).

There are lots of companies who offer that kind of service. Personally, I get boards from PCBNPI (www.pcbnpi.com)

and they do have an assembly service. Their service and quality are very good,while price is OK. Saves my time and money.I highly recommend.

Fair warning: hardware has a significant startup cost. In most cases, having ten boards made will cost about as much as having a hundred made. In both cases the bulk of the price is due to setting things up, you're just distributing that cost across different numbers of boards.

Jackye