Maker Pro
Maker Pro

"Portable" system to output power from solar to a notebook

analoglight

Jul 4, 2023
Hi,

For sure I don't need to say it, but let me say that electronics is not my field at all. In this way let me write the follow.

I want to have a portable system in car to get power from solar panel and be ON for 8 hours +- out there. This portable don't need to be James-Bond-like system, can be very rudimentary where I need to move the solar panel from the car with the best alignment.

For what the shop told me I need:

- solar panel (200w)
- battery (+- 400w)
- battery controller with LCD (10A)
- inverter (12v to 220v)

Do I really need a battery, or I can use the inverter directly from the solar panel?
What kind of solar panel should I look?

Feel free to give me any opinion.

\o_

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Welcome to Maker Pro. :)
I want to have a portable system in car to get power from solar panel and be ON for 8 hours +- out there
To power what? Plus or minus 8 hours how much deviation from 8 hours plus or minus 1 hour 2 3 etc?
I'm not trying to beat you up.
I'm just trying to fill in the holes.
Do I really need a battery, or I can use the inverter directly from the solar panel?
Because of the holes you can go with or without the battery and the inverter can be directly connected to your solar panel via controller and no depending on your load. Your load is what you want it to connect too. And all this can be modular meaning the equipment can be purchased off the shelf and all that is needed is to plug in the connectors.
You see... Nothing I just said answers any of your questions?
Take your time and fill in the holes.
The only parameter you give is the 10 amps capability and you also say electronics is not your field at all but the way it's stated it reads as if you would like to power an LCD display that draws 10 amps for plus or minus 8 hours. But of course that's silly.
Also.... Your post may help other people who read your thread.

Last edited:

analoglight

Jul 4, 2023
Thank you :)

Oh, I totally forgot. Is just to power a laptop.
That laptop with a stress cpu test, consumes +- 60..70w per hour.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Oh, I totally forgot
And I am a big bozo. You stated that right in the title of your post without the parameters of course I think I better learn how to read before I respond, sorry about that buddy. I'm too embarrassed to continue someone will be a long to help you out. :eek:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Very well... I am shameless which supersedes embarrassment.
- solar panel (200w)
- battery (+- 400w)
- battery controller with LCD (10A)
- inverter (12v to 220v)
Make and model of your laptop.
Clarification is needed. From this post I have to guess that you wish to plug in your laptop as you would in your home through a power outlet correct? As far as solar panels I would suggest flexible solar panels because you will be taking it in and out of your vehicle.
Right off the top flexible solar panel capable of 200watts You're looking at$250.00 U.S.
Do you have a budget?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
To provide you a more in-depth explanation of your requested photovoltaic panel system.
I need to know:The magnitude of solar radiation available for energy
conversion in your geographical location.
This will allow me to evaluate climate, elevation, seasonal solar radiation patterns output in your area, which plays a key role in order to submit my, opinion, options, well informed suggestions for your approval. Thank you.
-Delta Prime

analoglight

Jul 4, 2023
Lenovo x1 carbon 3 gen.
I live at central of Europe, but the idea is to travel around the world.

About the panel flexible seems ok. Any good brand? And what tech for it?
At this time, should I need a battery or some component to stabilize the power for the laptop?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
can be very rudimentary where I need to move the solar panel from the car with the best alignment
??? Okay I'm going to go rudimentary! assuming you're going to be traveling on foot backpacking around the world so you can take it anywhere it'll be as light as possible are you sure you wouldn't want to plug in a cell phone maybe charge a flashlight or anything like that. Now is the time to say so.

analoglight

Jul 4, 2023
lol, your answers are funny. There is no turn back? :p

But yes, a 230 plug in enough :)

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
lol, your answers are funny.
Funny looking too!
:cool:
1676685705329.jpg

First you say you want to be able
To take the solar panel in and out of a car now you say you want to go around the world I need to know exactly what you want to do! because if I give you the components you need for just your laptop it will only work for yours laptop nothing else, do I make myself clear.

Last edited:

analoglight

Jul 4, 2023
I just need a 230v plug from the solar panel, if that's possible without a battery, if I need a battery, which components are enough for the goal.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
All right just what I'm going to do I'm going to give you three possible options and you pick and choose which one you want I'll give you a price list to go along with it and I'll try to make it affordable so you can plug in more than just your laptop

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Lenovo x1 carbon 3 gen
This notebook takes a USB connector type C.This notebook power supply takes 20 volts DC at 65 Watts i padded it. 75 Watts ÷20 volts = 3.75 amps.
The below link is from Amazon you're going to need a generator.
. look at the video just tell me what you think you could probably find it somewhere else cheaper so I'm not saying buy from Amazon

1688592332702.png

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You will not get 8 hours from a solar panel, not usable at least.
Using an inverter would be just another "power waste" link in the chain.
Best would be a battery system to drive the laptop directly and as laptops already have a battery, then efficient charging would be best approach.
Most laptops have at least 19v charger so solar panel would need to provide this plus a margin for a regulator. Number or size of panel enough to cover the maximum current demand.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
This is only an example this generator has an inverter with battery backup it stated as 110 but I'm sure you can find one that is220Vac this is only an example! The photos below are for scale and a brief description. You have the option to plug in or just you a USB connector it's up to you. The whole shebang. It'll last you approximately one and a half hours when the battery is a fully charged at night. And you could get a 200Watt photovoltaic panel along with a higher current capacity batteries so on and so forth. The price goes up.The 100 watt solar panel with that particular generator is approximately $500 U.S. by the way I love your notebook, laptop.

Screenshot_20230705_194347.jpg
Screenshot_20230705_194250.jpg

Screenshot_20230705_194043.jpg
Screenshot_20230705_194139.jpg

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
You will not get 8 hours from a solar panel, not usable at least
The thread starter is planning to travel around the world hopefully in summer time the T.S. will wind up in Norway: "Land of the Midnight Sun". The 20 to 28 volt DC 100 watt solar panel alone would last all day with the USB type-C connector powering his notebook while charging his batteries he will get 8 hours. But I have to admit I did not check if the notebook comes with batteries we have to ask.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
20 volt would not be sufficient due to any regulator losses.
When all is considered, the Op is probably better off just to buy a spare battery or two.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I concur.It is selectable from 20 to 28 volts.
And I would treat both the photovoltaic panel and the generator as if it was made out of paper mache does not look rugged. . As stated this is just an example.

analoglight

Jul 4, 2023
Thanks all the replies.

Delta, that accessory is too fancy. I can move along with this kind of solar panel:

I just need to know what other components I need to have a 220v output interface. The laptop doesn't have usb-c power input.