Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replace catalytic element on Iroda MJ-950 heat gun?

smilem

Jan 5, 2013
Hello, I've being told the Iroda MJ-950 does not have a replacement front piece with a mesh in it.
I've only used my for few minutes for 10 times, and the catalytic element is flaking off inside already.

very bad quality if you ask me.

Now what to replace it with? I can get stainless steel 316L size 40 mesh. Is there anything else?

By the way if you decide to dissemble your there is a thread you need to unscrew, after you drill out small hole in the side to allow unscrewing.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The catalyser is a fine material coated in a chemical compound that flakes off over time and if you aren't getting a decent 'glow' then it usually means replacement of the catalyser - if you can get one.

So long as it's still producing heat though.....

Personally I use gas tools that incorporate the cat in the tip - tips are replaceable!

smilem

Jan 5, 2013
Well I see the catalyst is platinum coated or platinum impregnated, so where can I find mesh used for this?

I need 20x20mm size piece x 3pcs.

If chinese can make soldering iron tips plus this mesh in a holder for 5usd this must not be expensive.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If chinese can make soldering iron tips plus this mesh in a holder for 5usd this must not be expensive.
...and if you want to purchase 5,000,000 of them they won't be 'expensive' either :p

Thereby lies the rub. It will inevitably be cheaper to purchase a new tool than to find a replacement part that isn't normally available as a spare.

That iron is quoted on Farnell at around £32 ($50??). If yours is relatively 'new' have you checked any warranty it came with?

smilem

Jan 5, 2013
Well I emailed the UK rep for Europe, and no reply from them.

"Please contact our European Rep. FYI you need to replace the whole piece, we do not sell the CATALYST SCREEN separately
E: [email protected]
W: www.kayfast.co.uk"

So I will ask the company that sold this about warranty. But to any extent catalyst worn in 10 minutes of use is not good. My chinese soldering irons work even after many hours of use.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Be prepared to hear that the catalyst isn't covered under warranty as it's a 'wearable part'.......

If you're UK-based you should be covered under the Sale of Goods Act - contact the people that sold you it and complain there first. Mention your rights under the SoG Act.... it often helps.