Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Revamping my Kenwood speakers

B0nzo_69

Mar 24, 2024
Hello. I need some advice/ tutoring. I have a pair of 1982? Kenwood floor speakers that are 120w, 8ohm. I am replacing those with 200-350w, 8ohm speakers. My question is, Do I need to replace the electronic components as well? (The resistors, etc. within the cabinets) Or, will they work with the upgraded speakers?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Chris

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
You mean the components inside your existing speakers?
More than likely to cross over Network.
I don't like guessing I don't give advice that way or I'm not a tutor can't read minds need to know the make of your speakers the manufacturer of your existing amplifier system. Your new speakers will have a unique frequency response to them.
And the amplifier would have to be able to drive these speakers in order to hear all the frequencies that speaker is capable of producing so more information is needed on your part thank you.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
You should be able to use that same crossover network for the new speakers.

Are you replacing the speakers for some reason other than to just have ones with a greater wattage rating, as I see no reason to go with speakers that have a higher rating than 120W?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The nominal impedance rating 8
Ohms is meaningless. And if anyone suggest otherwise they know absolutely nothing about it and should stand down. Impedance is meaningful only when considering frequency. If you really want to figure out what is going on, you need to be using the impedance curves. The original designer most likely designed the crossover using the impedance at the crossover points, not the driver's nominal impedance.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
How come I get an alert through email but there's nothing posted here?
Therefore here's what I received.

photo_1711349863063.png
I don't see how this is contributing to the question along with the other doofus.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@Delta Prime : This was a misunderstanding of your post on my part. Since there is a line break between 8 and [imath]\Omega[/imath] in your post, I thought you wanted to express the opinion that impedance is not designated in [imath]\Omega[/imath].