Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Rookie question

Doc Green

Jan 3, 2016
Hi All...I'm sorry if this is too basic but really could use help. I have a problem where from my 1 computer, I run VGA cables to the regular monitor for it, & also my flatscreen tv for games & Amazon prime. My question is what do I need in order to do the following & not have to keep switching cables? I want to play my keyboard, which is running off the computer, & use that monitor for the music website. At the same time & with the same computer, I want to watch a YouTube video on the flatscreen for instruction & to help make me suck less at the keyboard. Basically, it's 1 CPU running 2 sites to 2 different monitors. Theres so many products & I don't know if I need just a splitter or a switch also or 2 in 1. I don't know is if it's possible, although everything seems to be these days. I hope this made sense, apologize if it's too basic, but sincerely thank anyone who could help me.

Doc Green

Jan 3, 2016
Hi All...I'm sorry if this is too basic but really could use help. I have a problem where from my 1 computer, I run VGA cables to the regular monitor for it, & also my flatscreen tv for games & Amazon prime. My question is what do I need in order to do the following & not have to keep switching cables? I want to play my keyboard, which is running off the computer, & use that monitor for the music website. At the same time & with the same computer, I want to watch a YouTube video on the flatscreen for instruction & to help make me suck less at the keyboard. Basically, it's 1 CPU running 2 sites to 2 different monitors. Theres so many products & I don't know if I need just a splitter or a switch also or 2 in 1. I don't know is if it's possible, although everything seems to be these days. I hope this made sense, apologize if it's too basic, but sincerely thank anyone who could help me.

Me again....Also, if I shld be using any different types of cables or connections, then I'm open to suggestions. Please none like "take 7th grade science class", or " let me ask my 11 year old, he'll know it", haha. Thank you

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
Does your graphics card in the computer have two video out connections or only one? If only one, then it might be better to upgrade the graphics card to one that supports two outputs - ie: two monitors. Then it's just a matter of having an application open in one window on one monitor and a different application in a different window on the other monitor.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Or... If you're running Windows 7 or later just plug in another graphics card and windows should do the magic required for 2 monitors.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Or... If you're running Windows 7 or later just plug in another graphics card and windows should do the magic required for 2 monitors.

and failing that just buy a KVM switch unit they are triggered by keyboard control

Doc Green

Jan 3, 2016
I believe my computer only has 1 graphics card, but I am running Vista, so maybe it's a s simple as adding a card. I'm not familiar with a "KVM"? Switch? I've seen splitters for sale but most of them say the display must be the same on both monitors. I'll check into the new card, & a KVM switch also. I'm a step or two closer, at least. I thank you al for that. Very kind folks. I already have play station 1 through 4, Atari, & Coleco vision set up. Adding this will make it even more difficult to leave my house, ha. Thank you all...

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you need 2 different screens showing different content at the same time, no KVM switch nor splitter cable will help you. As others have already said, you need 2 video outputs. Either one card with 2 outputs or two cards.

Bob

Doc Green

Jan 3, 2016
Okay, then. I've learned a good bit & now have a plan thanks to you. Thank you all very much.