Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sharp Microwave Fan not working

Margaret

Sep 1, 2012
My microwave's fan, a Sharp R-1471 model is not working. all other functions are ok. I am not very electronically knowledgeable. should I try to fix it myself? If i replace it, are all microwaves a standard size?

thanks,
Margaret

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I am not very electronically knowledgeable. should I try to fix it myself? If i replace it, are all microwaves a standard size?

You probably should refer it to someone who is knowledgeable about the hazards of high voltage and microwaves. Although fans are one of the easiest parts to replace if they're available, there's the possibility that the fault lies with a relay or other control component. At least one vendor shows some parts for that model and no, they're not standardized industry wide.

http://www.partstore.com/Model/Sharp/Sharp/R1471.aspx

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If the fan is stiff, it might only be necessary to clean and lubricate the bearings.

The voltages in a microwave are exeedingly high and can be retained on a capacitor even when turned off. Great care needs to be taken.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As noted above, working inside a microwave is dangerous, even when turned-off and
unplugged, because of capacitors inside retaining their voltage.
No, microwave ovens come in all sizes. If you replace it, you need to measure the
space you have available, to make sure the one you buy will fit in the space available.
I wouldn't try to fix it if you have no electronics background. If you don't know anybody
who does know how to work on a microwave oven, I'd just replace it. They're not all
that expensive these days.
Good luck with whatever you decide.