Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SMD Component Identification

Spirit3d

Nov 18, 2022
Dear all,

I am new to electronic and would appreciate if you could help me to identify an SMD component.
Many thanks.

component.jpg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Most likely a capacitor but no markings anywhere so your guess is as good as anyone elses.
What makes you think it is faulty if that is the reason for the query.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It is impossible to verify that the short is in this component or elsewhere on the board as long as the component is soldered to the board. To find out decisively you'll have to de-solder the component from the board and measure it out of the circuit.
Even if the component shows 0 Ω resistance, this is no definite indication of a defect. Sometimes 0 Ω resistors are used to activate (or deactivate) certain optional functions of a PCB.

A fuse is unlikely (but not impossible) at this position of the PCB. Fuses could be expected near the power supply section or near large loads. Since there seems to be a connector next to this component, a fuse cannot be ruled out.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
It is shorted. Could it be a fuse too ?

A fuse, no, but could well be a ferrite choke/inductor. Not all inductors have an obvious coil of wire

BTW ... I can see a light coloured scrape line across the top surface. probably from your test probe ....
that may be your short circuit, clean that top surface