Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sony STR-AV260 Receiver No Sound

dsieracki

May 30, 2024
Hey all, I recently purchased a Sony STR-AV260 receiver from the 80s. When I first hooked up my speakers to the receiver, using 14 gauge wire, the tuner played music. I then switched the receiver to a phono input (Bluetooth adapter input) and it still had sound. When I went to change back to the tuner I now can't hear sound. There is no message on it stating something is wrong. Am I missing something? How do I get the sound back.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I then switched the receiver to a phono input (Bluetooth adapter input) and it still had sound.
Very few bluetooth inputs from the 80's period on stereos.
I don't see any reference to bluetooth input on the front panel of an image from Google.
What did you plug in to the phono input......???
Sounds like it might have blown the guts out of something due to incompatible input.

Apart from that, $20 on Ebay, hardly worth any effort to even open the case.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165395299580

dsieracki

May 30, 2024
It did not have a Bluetooth input, rather it was labeled a phono input but I bought a blue tooth adapter on Amazon that was made to plug into old stereos like this. Could that really have destroyed it?

esinkin Bluetooth Audio Adapter for Music Streaming Sound System, Wireless Audio Adapter Works with Smartphones and Tablets, Wireless Adapter for Speakers https://a.co/d/ddDnD5n

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Welcome to maker Pro
Check out this site. You can download it for free? To see if it is your unit cuz this one comes up as Sony STR-AV260L
I hope it helps. Even if it is not your unit we can still help you. I'm only asking because I do not know. Do you know how to use a multimeter and or soldering iron? :)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Could that really have destroyed it?
Maybe, maybe not as we have no idea what that actually is or it's specs. or if indeed any spec matches your old stereo phono input.

What you might want to try is looking at the phono plug socket as they usually have an integrated switch to isolate other signals when phono is plugged in.
Then, when the phono plug is removed, this integral switch redirects aforementioned signal back to the amp.

So if the contact is dodgy, which can happen as these things are rarely used and can become rather grotty, then you can end up with zero conventional signal getting through.

dsieracki

May 30, 2024
Thank you for this! This was indeed the fix. For now i just unplugged the bluetooth adapter from here and will use in an aux port to see if that works.