Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Suggestions for winter electronics projects wanted

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
Don't forget the rubber stamp sounds from the Notary Public above the barber shop.

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
All this talk about sounds for the model trains has got me thinking I should spend some time re-organizing the train room and maybe get started on a proper layout to replace the "temporary" (glorified test track) setup I've had for about 20 years. Once I get going on that all sorts of electronic projects will pop up, starting with installing DCC decoders in more locomotives and maybe eventually something like JMRI

I've been thinking I should eventually learn about Arduinos for a few years and I read an article a while ago about using inexpensive ones from eBay (probably on Aliexpress too) as DCC decoders so I could eventually get involved with that too.

And there are probably a few things reviewed here that I should think about making too...

Sidecar Bob

Dec 19, 2021
Yeah, there is a lot of stuff like that out there. But first I need to start doing something about a proper layout and then I need to learn a bit about arduinos.

I have a feeling I may be overthinking looking for things to do over the winter. I've put a fair bit of effort into both making the basement shop into a place where I can actually do things (for decades I could only use about 24" of bench space out of 30+ feet and the middle of the room was a pile of mostly garbage, now I actually have a place to work on electronics, not to mention household stuff) and making the garage shop more comfortable to work in in the winter when I have to. I try to avoid running the electric heater in the garage shop when I don't have to but I recently bought a 7x14 mini lathe so I have a feeling part of the winter will be spent playing on it too.

And I started renovating the kitchen last spring; I got it to a point where I could stop for a few months while I worked in the garden and the garage shop but outdoor season is just about over so I'll be back to working on that soon too.

On the other hand it is nice to have a few small projects I can do in between the bigger ones.....

BTW: I made an offer for 3 of those 16 tone modules. If I don't get time to build them this year they won't go bad hanging on the wall waiting to be built when I need them. I wonder if there is a way to upload your own sounds to them?