Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Trying to find type/name/replacement cord

sturgial

Apr 22, 2015
Hi - I just bought this rolling rock retro REPLICA cooler. I got a steal on it because the previous owner lost the power cord. Can anyone help me.....I am looking for the name or type of power supply cord I need and/or where (website or store) I could find one.
Thanks in advance.
cooler.JPG Bottom.jpg Cooler1.JPG

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
That looks like a polarized connector. Does this have an external DC power connection, provided from an external AC-operated power supply? Many "coolers" that provide both heating and cooling do that by changing the polarity of the DC power input. Trace the wiring from the connector to see where it goes and report back here.

sturgial

Apr 22, 2015
Thanks guys......Yes bob - 12v 0.95A and 70W. The power cord, which I found pictures online, look identical to something like a laptop power cord, but the female plug end must fit the picture above.....something that I'm trying to figure out.
Hevans, Here are more pictures. The wiring from the plug (shown in the circuit diagram above) splices. 1 (red and black) goes to run the fans at the bottom of the cooler to cool down the radiator, 1 (red and black) goes to run the actual cooling coil/mechanism, and the 3rd one goes to run the fan inside the cooler that blows the cool air from the cooling coil into the cooler. Here are two pics I took. Wiring1.JPG wiring.JPG

sturgial

Apr 22, 2015
Here is also a picture of what the original power cord looked like. powercord.JPG

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I don't know how they get 70 watts from 12 V @ 0.95 A because that is a tad more than 11 watts.

OTOH, 70 watts sounds about right for a Peltier solid-state cooler with three little fans.

So, I am guessing this thing was designed to plug into a cigarette lighter on an automobile and get 12 V DC power from that. The wall wart power supply and plug you show may be the missing accessory you would need to operate from a convenience outlet. Here is a 12 VDC power cord that might work.

If this were my POS cooler, I would remove the male connector and install a pair of banana jacks to connect it with a cigarette lighter cable. Or hard-wire in an electrical cord (spliced into the existing wiring) to connect to an external DC power supply. I would also measure the DC current, since it will probably draw more like 6 A than 0.95 A with 12 VDC applied. Pay attention to polarity. Red is probably positive and Black is probably negative, but measure the current when you fire it up and see if cool air is coming out to be sure, and also make sure the fans are rotating the right direction.