Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Typewriter LCD display repair

Astro13

Feb 3, 2024
Thanks, Bluejets, but Astro mentioned the majority of the display "lights up" when adjusting the "contrast potentiometer." This is the clue that leads me to believe the module is still functioning properly.
There is still lines missing when I put the potentiometer all the way up. And the capacitors are pristine, this is a pristine typewriter, except for the display, if one of the 4 capacitors on the motherboard was damaged, it would have a hard time functioning as well as it does at the moment, I think (and hope) it’s the display

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
There is still lines missing when I put the potentiometer all the way up. And the capacitors are pristine, this is a pristine typewriter, except for the display, if one of the 4 capacitors on the motherboard was damaged, it would have a hard time functioning as well as it does at the moment, I think (and hope) it’s the display
Let us know if you are able to fix it. :)

Astro13

Feb 3, 2024
Okay so, I sourced some ink for the thing and I have decided I do not need the display, it’s just for a word processor. Which sounds awful on a 16(14)x2 display. At the same thrift store that a picked the typewriter up at there was another of the exact model, and the display was dead in a very similar way. There goes hope for a parts typewriter

(Edit, no I did not buy it. Value village has a power bar that you can plug tech into for testing purposes. Saved my wallet more then once

Attachments

• IMG_0917.jpeg
    IMG_0917.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 4

H2814D

Nov 4, 2017
Okay so, I sourced some ink for the thing and I have decided I do not need the display, it’s just for a word processor. Which sounds awful on a 16(14)x2 display. At the same thrift store that a picked the typewriter up at there was another of the exact model, and the display was dead in a very similar way. There goes hope for a parts typewriter

(Edit, no I did not buy it. Value village has a power bar that you can plug tech into for testing purposes. Saved my wallet more then once
Isn't the point of having the display operable so you can see what will eventually be typed on the paper? I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

Astro13

Feb 3, 2024
There are a few modes, too many to go over in one forum post, but basically you have typing with the word processor and different ways of printing, or you can just use it like an older machine and it just translates keystrokes right to paper. I probably should have gone with an older one but that’s what they had at my thrift store. And fixing mechanical stuff gives me a headache.