Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Understanding audio splitter in reverse

user789

Aug 8, 2023
I am trying to get more practical understanding here.

There’s a 3.5mm audio Y splitter available on amazon. It’s main purpose is to split the output of any audio device that sends audio signal on 3.5mm Line out port into two.

split.png

However if I understand correctly, it’s bidirectional as far as wiring is concerned. So if I use it in reverse as a mixer between my PC and TV and share the same speaker will it create harm to the internal amplifier circuit on PC and/or TV?

Now the output of say TV headphone out also goes into the Line-Out on PC while PC line out also sends signal on the same wire.

I am trying to understand if such a configuration is harmless and supported.
Thanks.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
These are just wired in parallel.
It will work both ways.

You obviously won’t be able to adjust each signal like a dedicated mixer will.

Martin

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Depending on the output stages of the two devices being combined in the cable, things might not work well at all. The output impedance of a music player or whatever can be very low, much lower than the 60 ohms of so impedance of a pair of earbuds. Thus, each output can present what looks like a strange type of short circuit, one that is a very low impedance but has a varying voltage to it.

A Y cable made specifically to combine signals will have fixed resistors built in to prevent this problem.

ak

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Yes, as AK stated, connecting two outputs in parallel should not be done without resistors to isolate the two outputs.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If you can dismantle the two sockets to get access to the internal wiring, there is likely enough space to solder in a series resistor in each.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Or two resistors.

It is not clear from the posts if the cable splits the stereo plug into two mono jacks (one left, one right), or if it is a true splitter with two stereo jacks. If the latter, then each jack needs two resistors, one for each channel.

ak

user789

Aug 8, 2023
If I understand correctly, it's a true stereo splitter. Both L + R are split into two lines. However it's going to be very small sized so it might be using insulated wire inside. DIY is beyond my scope at this stage. Also I think it's all molded into one piece.
I have decided to refrain from using it as a mixer kind of cable. I wanted to share my speaker between two outputs. I can get another speaker in the cost of a basic audio mixer device. In my country the 3.5mm switcher is available, but only as an imported product on local amazon and hence very expensive.

So I will eventually opt for a separate speaker to be connected to the TV headphone out.
Thank you all for guiding me. Best regards.