Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB wiring for Playstation 3 controller.

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Hello everyone! I have a wired Playstation 3 third-party-developed controller I want to repair because there was a problem with the cable, so I removed the solder metal to get the wires out and then the cable out. I noted where every wire was:

-red wire was at 5v point,
-white wire was at D- point,
-green wire was at D+ point,
-yellow wire was at GND point,
-and black wire was at another GND point (just beside the first one).

The thing is, I took some scrap USB male to USB female cable, cut the USB female tip and got to the wires... There is a red one, a yellow one, a black one... but also a blue one and a pale blue one (like almost transparent). So where do I solder the wires? I know nothing about the color code, and I guess it has got some variations. Please help, I really liked that controller. Feel free to ask me pictures for better understanding. Thank you!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Do not trust color codes.

Do you have a multimeter? Measure where (which pin) the wires from the old cable end in the plug. Then find out which of the wires in the new cable goes to the same pin of the plug at the new cable's other end. Voilá there is your correspondence.

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Alright, thank you for the quick answer! I will try that and give news about it.

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
I am too unfamiliar with using a multimeter, so which option on the multimeter do I choose?

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Alright, so I looked up for the right option and did what you said, and it worked perfectly, thank you very much! Now I would like to know how to do the same thing but for an original Xbox controller (duke one). I want to know (since the cable was the problem) if I could replace it to a USB cable and plug it in my USB female to Xbox converter and use the controller. If you have any clue, I would be grateful. Thank you!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Use the Ohm range (typically 200 Ω range) or use the conductivity test if the meter has one.
About your Xbox Issue I 'm sorry not to have an idea to offer.