Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB wiring

cheddarman

Aug 14, 2021
I've made a lens heater for my astrophotography comprising a 3S Lipo battery (12+ volts) powering a resistor ring that fits on the front of the lens. These resistors heat up and keep the dew off the lens.
I have been given a USB (5 volt) cloth heater that wraps around the lens and I'd like to add a USB A socket to my power supply to accommodate this new heater.
So, how do I wire this in, how do I reduce the 12+ volts down to the required 5v. What's the safest way?
According to its spec. the current for the new heater is about 1.4 Amps. I've forgotten all my formulae

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
There are variables involved that we don't know, but I would abandon this idea of adding an extra complexity and efficiency loss from a buck PSU module with its own waste heat, when the purpose was already delivering heat, considering your USB heater element is probably only worth $5 and USB A is capable of 1.5A at most (ideal conditions) so may become a fault.

Is 7W even the ideal amount of heat or you're just basing everything around a $5 *free* heater, that is only 7W because it's just within the envelope that maxes out USB A power delivery?

I'd search for 12V heater "film" or "silicone" (ebay, aliexpress, etc sources) near the wattage and element shape your application needs. As far as safest, put a fuse on it, or safest for your lens assembly would be to shoot for a little overhead on needed wattage for the heater element but then use a temperature controller to reduce output to the minimum required temperature.

cheddarman

Aug 14, 2021
Thanks for that, looks just the job complete with the USB socket!

cheddarman

Aug 14, 2021
Further update, item arrived yesterday and I installed it in my power supply box but didn't work. Put multimeter on the input and it indicated that the polarity was reversed.
Reversed the input and it worked fine! - GND was Vin+ and Vin+ was GND. Luckily there must be reverse polarity protection in it so no damage.

IMG_8959.jpg