Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Watlow Process Controller Help

rhanley1

Mar 2, 2011
I have a LINDBERG tube furnace with what appears to be a WATLOW process temperature controller installed on the center zone. I have been unable to identify this units model number. I have contacted LINDBERG and WATLOW to no avail. I need help in identifying the model type so I can program it properly. Attached is a picture of the unit I have. Any help in identifying it and obtaining operator instructions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG00288-20110207-1205.jpg
    IMG00288-20110207-1205.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 227

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you can't find someone who can identify this by sight:
Open the instrument, and look for a tag inside (or affixed to the back of the unit).
There's gotta be SOME kind of identifying information on or in that instrument.
(If you've tried all that. Look at the motherboard inside, and get a part number off of that)

rhanley1

Mar 2, 2011
I have looked at the outside case and pulled the controller out of the case and found no model number or identifying marks other that the WATLOW logo on one of the circuit boards in the unit, which is what led me to contact WATLOW after contacting LINDBERG which rebranded the unit. I have searched WATLOW'S web site for a manual or any kind of technical support. LINDBERG and WATLOW are both pleading ignorance. I was hoping that someone on the forum might recognize the unit from the picture and possibly be able to help.

If you can't find someone who can identify this by sight:
Open the instrument, and look for a tag inside (or affixed to the back of the unit).
There's gotta be SOME kind of identifying information on or in that instrument.
(If you've tried all that. Look at the motherboard inside, and get a part number off of that)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Alright. The only time I've ever seen something like this happen, is when some contractor specifically has a manufacturer make a custom instrument or system for a specific job they bid on. The contractor owns the rights to the system (like proprietary parts for a company).
Unfortunately, a lot of contractors then go out of business.
Do you know the name of the company that installed this system? Do you have some central engineering office for your organization that stores the engineering plans for contractor work done for your organization, that you can ask?
Often I've found, when the installation is complete, the contractor doesn't much care about maintenance of the equipment after their warranty on the installation is ended. And the final documentation is just turned-over to your organization's engineering dept.
This may all sound far-fetched to you, but I've found it happens pretty often.
Even if you don't think you have the engineering information at your plant or building, I'd make a thorough check, (it may be in some cardboard box in storage on-site). If your organization is large, the information could be in some off-site central storage location. When looking for it, it helps if you know the year the instrument was installed, and the name of the contractor.
Typically, when installations like this are done. A final 'As-Built' set of blueprints, wiring-diagrams, AND THE MANUALS the contractor had when he installed the instruments, are turned-over to the customer in bulk.
Good luck with this, hope it helps.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
One more thought.
You might be able to get some information on this system from the manufacturer of your FURNACE.
The FURNACE manufacturer may be the contractor who had Watlow/Lindberg make a proprietary controller for them. They might be willing to share their information to keep your furnace up and running.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
I've acquired Lindberg parts from Thermo Product Solutions (570-538-7200), that now handles Lindberg service. Do you have the model and serial number of the furnace?

Ken

rhanley1

Mar 2, 2011
I've acquired Lindberg parts from Thermo Product Solutions (570-538-7200), that now handles Lindberg service. Do you have the model and serial number of the furnace?

Ken

I have exhausted all possible leads with WATLOW, LINDBERG/THERMO, and even some vendors that specialize in temperature controller repair. None have been able to help me. This unit was purchased used so we have no access to the original documentation. I have already contacted Thermo with the model and serial number. They said that the unit was too old for them to have any records on because the company had changed hands so many times since the unit was built. I don't believe this was a one of a kind controller but somthing that may have been used in many units built during that time. I'm hoping that someone out there still has one of these units and may have some documentation on the controller so I might program it properly. Thanks for all your suggestions and efforts so far.