Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Which capacitor should I use???

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
image.jpg I am starting my first electronics project & am unsure which capacitor to use! I'm building a remote control car powered by Arduino. It's 4 wheel drive & I need to use a 0.1uf capacitor on the wheel motors. The ones in the picture have a small brown circular end & the ones I have are a creamy block end & they say 0.1uf 63V. Are these ok? Please help!

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Should be.
Capacitors have at least 2 values you need to observe:
- Capacitance (Farads)
- Voltage (Volts)
- Polarity

Capacitors are also used in the following cases:
- Noise filtering
- Energy Storage
- Signal Conditioning

So. Because you are using these for the motors, I am going to assume they are going to be used for 'noise filtering'. Capacitors operate by allowing AC voltage to pass through them, but to block DC voltage. Noise is most commonly a random AC voltage. By using these capacitors, you are going to allow DC voltage to the motor, but any noise leaving the motor will instead (hopefully) travel through the capacitor instead to ground or another 'safe' place for noise to be. In this instance, the capacitance does not have to be exact. Pick something close and you will be fine. The voltage on the other hand should ALWAYS be selected to be higher than the voltage you are normally working with.
So, you have told use the capacitance that you needed, but didn't fill us in on the rest of the circuit. So these details and assumptions should cover most of it.
Please ask to clarify anything you didn't quite understand.

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
Hiya, thanks for the reply. The capacitor is actually to avoid any voltage spikes feeding back to damage the Arduino board controlling it. I've posted a new thread explaining my project.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hiya, thanks for the reply. The capacitor is actually to avoid any voltage spikes feeding back to damage the Arduino board controlling it. I've posted a new thread explaining my project.
Sounds good.
Please keep in mind that another common protection mechanism is diodes, but this is only really viable if the motor travels in one direction only...

Spike124

Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for the help. I will keep you informed on my progress & probably be seeking more help. Thanks again.