Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Why Low output voltage for wind turbine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luiz

Apr 3, 2015
Hello everyone,

I recently built a small wind turbine. I’m using a 12v 3-phase AC motor which connected to a charge controller and then to a 12v battery bank. On my charge controller I can see that even in a strong wind my turbine never puts out more than 10v. The highest value that I recorded was 10v and 18A at 40mph wind. Does anyone know why the system is not putting more voltage? So I can only produce (10x18=180 Watt) with this system? Is there a problem with my controller? Sorry if I’m missing some basic concept, but this is something new to me.

Thanks a lot

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi Luiz
welcome :)

just my initial thought
not all motors make ideal generators, maybe you should be trying an actual generator

others may have some ideas as well

Dave

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
I would agree with davenn on this.
Just like dc generators don't make good motors.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I agree with davenn and Kiwi.
AC induction motors have no way of generating a magnetic field on their own. They can sometimes be encouraged by loading with capacitors but a complex control system is needed.

DC is needed so use a DC generator.

Luiz

Apr 3, 2015
hi Luiz
welcome :)

just my initial thought
not all motors make ideal generators, maybe you should be trying an actual generator

others may have some ideas as well

Dave

Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention that I’m using a permanent magnet generator that is made for wind turbines. This generator is called Freedom PMG made by Missouri Wind and Solar. According to many reviews this is a good generator that is capable of producing a lot of power. I think that my voltage problem is related to something else.

Thanks again,
Luiz

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention that I’m using a permanent magnet generator that is made for wind turbines. This generator is called Freedom PMG made by Missouri Wind and Solar. According to many reviews this is a good generator that is capable of producing a lot of power. I think that my voltage problem is related to something else.

Thanks again,
Luiz

so you changed your system without telling us ?? that's not what you said in your opening post was it ?

luiz said:
I recently built a small wind turbine. I’m using a 12v 3-phase AC motor

Dave

Luiz

Apr 3, 2015
so you changed your system without telling us ?? that's not what you said in your opening post was it ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Is still the same system. I have been using a 12v 3-phase AC generator made for wind turbines. I just forgot to mention that it was an actual generator on my first post.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The highest value that I recorded was 10v and 18A at 40mph wind

Your charge controller is probably using Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) and has determined that the maximum power is available when the load causes the voltage to drop to this point.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If you are stuffing 18A into a 12V battery and only getting 10V, then you have a shorted cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.