Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Your experience with Electronics?

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
Hey Gonzo
sounds like a fun job :)
you would do well with the Mythbusters haha, they love to blow things up ;)

1964 huh showing ya age there haha golly gosh I was only just starting to play with bulbs, batteries and electric motors at that stage ( born 1959)
Electronics has been a hobby and income provider ever since I left school.

cheers
Dave

I have taught myself more Electronics than any school gave me.

I have also learned more in the last 5 years than I ever knew before.

This field is the only one I know where so many people taught themselvs and became sucessful.:D

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
well, everything i know is secondhand info. I can figure out basic things and love doing kits. am trying to understand the complexities though to see if i can design a circuit from scratch. at this point, i can understand but not make alot of the basic level stuff

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
This makes 42 years as a technician. Got my first paying job in 1970, no college degree. Broke into electronics as a gradeschooler, picking the trash-day throw-outs of neighbors every friday morning before school. Clock radios, any electronics I thought I could fix and resell for parts money. When I got to high school, electronics teacher, ex-Navy electrical engineer, found I could repair his test & measurement instruments. I got most of my electronics basics and info/skills from him.
Worked as a repair/maint/calibration tech ever since then changing jobs when I got to be the resident 'expert' on each employers line of equipment, and just got bored working the same gear all day. Worked the following industries:
Electric utility company, natural gas utility company, water and wastewater treatment plants, air quality monitoring organizations, mines in Arizona, missle defense companies, health departments, public utility companies, electronic communications companies.
I've forgotten more about gear I've workied on in the past than I'll ever learn in new gear, but I've never had a problem getting a new job when I got bored of the old ones.
Extra Class Amateur Radio license, and like Reaper_666, my 'mum' wasn't too happy with me turning the basement into an electronics workroom as a kid. I was an expert at fuse-blowing back then.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have taught myself more Electronics than any school gave me.
I have also learned more in the last 5 years than I ever knew before.
This field is the only one I know where so many people taught themselves and became sucessful.:D

And same with me for your first comment. Tho I did do a 6 month basic and applied electronics course at a tech college so long ago. It helped to fill in a few gaps.
My maj electronics hobby has also kept me employed for the last 35 yrs.

cheers
Dave

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
I suppose my career started when I was 3 years old by plugging a key into the power outlet. I never did that again. Next was pushing the off button on a department store's
escalator. That scared the crap outta me. When I was about eight a local TV repair shop guy gave me a half dozen dead TVs to play with. I got snake bit a few times there. Through adolescence and teens I was building kits and etching boards. My first jobs were assembler. We lived about 30 mile North of Silicon valley before it was called that. A coworker suggested I go to the local college to get a degree so I picked up a AS. I'll always regret not going a bit further and getting a BS but my weakness in math sort of held me back. I'm basically retired now but always on the lookout for another plum job.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Quite a few experienced people on here

I just finished my Bachelor's of Science In Electronics Engineering Technology Degree (last week actually)

I have a job as a Senior Engineering Technician with the prospect of becoming an associate engineer where I am currently working.

I have almost 15 years of experience working with my father on fixing electronics, and I find it to be interesting. I'm hoping that I can make a good career out of it.

I'm fortunate to be the last graduating class from my school with that degree, they are shifting it to be Electronics Systems Engineering Technology, basically I have schooling down to the component level, where they will only be going to board level now.

Nice to meet you all