Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anyone near Indiana?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm going to be in Fort Wayne IN between about 14 Jan and 12 Feb.

Anyone nearby?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I'd love to meet you steve. But 200 miles is a little too far for a cup of coffee. Yet, much closer than Beijing and the Ronne ice shelf.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Gee, I travel 18,000 km and you can't do a measly 200 miles? :-D

I can also offer a viewing of my $USD250,000 eBay purchases*!!!!

What town/city are you in? I may be doing a little traveling myself. I can be tempted quite easily :)

edit: *wow* it's amazing how many US states are within 200 miles of Fort Wayne -- not to mention Canada. Gee the US is a small place.

*Retail 1980's pricing

Last edited:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I'm sure your a nice guy but if I have to drive 200 miles, you might have to share your ebay purchases with me. Lol.

Yes, Indiana is more of a broom closet size state. If you want a little more elbow room, try on Alaska or Texas for size.
I'm in Rochester Hills, MI. What country south of Beijing do you hail from?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
18,000Km? the web computes:
Perth, down-under...;)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I live in Dayton, OH, about a two-hour drive to Ft. Wayne under good conditions (no highway construction, no heavy traffic, etc.). What are you going to be doing in Ft. Wayne?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Gee the US is a small place.
Yeah, but try driving to Hawaii, or even Alaska (which is actually possible) from Ft. Wayne. It takes two days to drive non-stop from Dayton to California. Gotta take a boat or a plane to get to Hawaii from California... or from anywhere for that matter. You should visit the Grand Canyon while you are here. The North Rim is the best, but I think it's closed during the winter. South Rim is in the high desert and open all the time. The night sky in the American West is worth looking at if you can find some place without artificial lights. Tours to the bottom of the Grand Canyon are seasonal, and not for the weak hearted. Some native American Indians have built a cantilevered transparent viewing platform over the Grand Canyon that is supposed to offer an interesting experience. Niagara Falls is closer than the Grand Canyon and is nice to look at from either Canada side or US side, although I prefer the Canadian view. Plus you don't have to drive very far to find a place to eat or sleep.

Yeah, the US is a small place and getting crowded too. Try driving across Russia or China for a real adventure. Everybody in Europe apparently travels on holiday by train. I have no idea how y'all get around "down under". Dirigibles, maybe?

Hop

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
18,000Km? the web computes:
Perth, down-under

Aaaagh, I've been found!

What are you going to be doing in Ft. Wayne?

Martin guesses mostly right. I will be checking out my stash. I'll be bringing with me enough stuff to be able to evaluate the condition of a reasonable sample of the equipment, but I will also be visiting a relatively nearby hackerspace and donating a small piece of said stash.

But the main reason is to spend a chunk of winter in a relatively cool place. Its kinda my last chance as my sister-in-law and her husband are moving to Australia.

I'm sure your a nice guy but if I have to drive 200 miles, you might have to share your ebay purchases with me. Lol.

Seriously, if you're after an old but probably very functional piece of bench test equipment, I may be able to help you out for what it cost me (most of it cost me very little). If you have a local hackerspace and are willing to donate it, I'll give you something.

I have no idea how y'all get around "down under". Dirigibles, maybe?

Most often we simply jump on the back of a passing kangaroo. Kangaroos don't go to Tasmania though. Tasmania is a small island (about the size of West Virginia) which is largely unpopulated except by a small number of two-headed villagers and a marsupial that eats cows.

Can't find Steve's thread on his huge buy now though!

I think you mean this one.

Not just one buy, but much from one seller. I have "notional" pricing (new pricing in the 80's and 90's) for about 70% which now well exceeds $USD250k. Of course the value today is far less, but why ruin a good story with facts?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Seriously, if you're after an old but probably very functional piece of bench test equipment, I may be able to help you out for what it cost me (most of it cost me very little).

Oh, another hopper! Very good Steve.
Yes, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a good but used Oscope. I sold my old one for next to nothing when we moved.

Well, if you are persuaded to venture this way, lunch is on me.

Regards, John
Ps: Vegemite is nasty